Subject: Re: Suggested References texts

From: John Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:59:15 -0700 (PDT)

Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>If this is a requirement, then we have to
>define everything that contains a References header as a followup,

You have it backwards. We define a followup by the poster's intent; we 
DETECT followups with the References header. There is a difference. Your 
definition leaves us with a circle: a followup contains a References 
header, and a References header must be used in a followup. Ok, what's a 
followup?

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:08:49 -0700

>> If this is a requirement, then we have to define everything that
>> contains a References header as a followup,

> header, and a References header must be used in a followup. Ok, what's a

Either we define followups by poster intent and some articles with
Reference headers aren't followups, or we define followups by the presence
of a Reference header and we can't make a strong statement about intent.
We can't have it both ways; Reference headers are used in practice for
things other than followups, and I don't expect that practice to change
(nor do I think we really *want* it to change).

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:42:13 GMT

>(nor do I think we really *want* it to change).

Exactly. But still John believes that the real world can be changed by
smoke and mirrors.

I have explained it to him.
Seth has explained it to him.
Shmuel has explained it to him.
And now you have explained it to him.

But he still does not see it. I should not waste any more time on it.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5