Subject: #1093 USEPRO 2.3: Supported email addresses

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:08:16 +0200

I have created ticket #1093 to track this issue.
I'll send out one of my (in)famous polls in the next message.

Subject: USEPRO 2.3: Supported email addresses

Charles proposed the following new text:

There are two circumstances when news-server administrators may need
to be contacted by email:

1. (injecting agents only)
For sending complaints concerning the behavior of the poster of an
article, the correct address is
o If there is an Injection-Info header field with a "mail-
complaints-to" <parameter>, then the address in that
<parameter>; otherwise
o "abuse@" followed by the <path-identity> in that Injection-Info
field; or, in the absence of any Injection-Info field, the
<path-identity> inserted by that agent in the Path header field
(which, for an injecting agent, should be the one followed by
the keyword "POSTED"). Evidently, that <path-identity> needs to
be an FQDN for this to work.
Injecting agent administrators SHOULD[2,3] ensure that a working
email address is obtained by this process.

2. (all agents)
For reporting technical problems concerning the operation of a
news-server, the correct address is either "news@" or "usenet@"
followed by a <path-identity> obtained from an Injection-Info or
Path header field as above. Administrators SHOULD[4] ensure that
a working email address is obtained from at least one of the<path-
identity>s inserted by themselves[5].

NOTE: The mechanisms set out above are broadly compatible with
the provisions of [RFC 2142].

It is not clear to this chair that there is consensus on this issue.