Subject: #1047 POLL RESULT: Path-diagnostics

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:02:32 +0100

I note a lot of discussion following this thread. Still, these are the 
messages I picked up that clearly respond to the poll:

A: A path-diagnostic must be syntactically distinguishable from a 
path-identity. Stuff that isn't a path-identity or a syntactically marked 
path-diagnostic (such as an IP address) should be syntacitcally illegal.

- Seth Breidbart "Preference"
- Frank Ellermann "I could support"
- Richard Clayton "would be closest to my viewpoint"
- Charles Lindsey "Prefer"

B: A path-diagnostic must be syntactically distinguishable from a 
path-identity. Stuff that isn't a path-identity or a syntactically marked 
path-diagnostic (such as an IP address) should be syntacitcally legal, but 
have no standardized meaning.

- Russ Allbery "most realistic"
- Seth Breidbart "also acceptable"
- ??Charles Lindsey "might be moving a little closer to" (unclear)

C: A path-diagnostic need not be syntactically distinguishable from a 
path-identity.

- Russ Allbery "I can live with"

D: None of the above alternatives is close to my opinion.

- Frank Ellermann "I could support"

5 people, 9 opinions. I didn't count myself.

Based on this, C seems to be definitely off the table. And there seems to 
be a strong opinion among the 5 of us that we should make stuff that 
doesn't match our syntax for diagnostics illegal.

Are there further comments or people who want to be listed differently?

                     Harald

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:53:00 -0800

Given that 5 days have passed with no comments on this poll result 
announcement, I'm declaring that the group has rough consensus (where Russ 
Allbery and I are part of the rough) on Option A:

So be it.

--On 18. januar 2006 16:02 +0100 Harald Tveit Alvestrand 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> path-diagnostic (such as an IP address) should be syntacitcally legal,
> but have no standardized meaning.
>