Subject: application/news-message-id

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 02:45:36 +0100

Hi, what's an application/news-message-id ?

Frank

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:27:44 +0100

> Hi, what's an application/news-message-id ?
http://www.fileformat.info/info/mimetype/application/news-message-id/index.htm 
as well as http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/ sems 
to claim it's a Spencer-defined son-of-1036-ism.

              Harald

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:30:27 +0100

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/ sems

Arrghh, I had checked this, but I didn't expect the line break:

    NOTE: In the specific case where it is desired  to
    essentially  make another article PART of the cur-
    rent one, e.g. for annotation of the  other  arti-
    cle, MIME's "message/external-body" convention can
    be used to do so without actual inclusion.  "news-
    message-ID" was registered as a standard external-
    body access method, with a mandatory NAME  parame-
    ter  giving  the  message  ID and an optional SITE
    parameter suggesting an NNTP site that might  have
    the  article  available  (if  it  is not available
    locally), by IANA 22 June 1993.

Sounds like a feature to be replaced by news URLs.  But excl. IETF
announce lists I know nobody using message/external-body anywhere.
No job for USEPRO.

Frank

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:58:13 +0100

> Arrghh

Indeed.  It's no MIME subtype at all, it's a "lost" access type
for the http://www.iana.org/assignments/access-types registry.

Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:01:35 GMT

>Hi, what's an application/news-message-id ?

No such beast exists AFAIK.

Or, if it does, IANA should have something to say on it.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:50:53 GMT

>to claim it's a Spencer-defined son-of-1036-ism.

Well that first site seems to be down, and the second seems to indicate
that IANA have now "lost" the official definition of that media type
(there was a time when IANA used to store the actual templates. Now they
just give references which are sometime broken).

But Frank seems to have found a text. Could someone post it all?

But this looks like something we ought to have obsoleted in USEFOR at the
same time as we obsoleted message/news.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:25:32 +0100

> But Frank seems to have found a text. Could someone post it all?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-05#section-8.3

Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:57:40 GMT

>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ellermann-news-nntp-uri-05#section-8.3

Ah! You are wanting to change it from an RFC 4288 registrartion to an RFC
4289 registration. That makes sense. But you would still have to write a
proper 4289 template for it.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:23:16 GMT

>just give references which are sometime broken).

That first site is up again, but all it does is to repeat what is on the
IANA site. SO it does indeed appear that the actual registration template
for that media type is pemanently lost - at least so far as trying to find
it via IANA is concerned.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:32:38 +0100

> Ah! You are wanting to change it from an RFC 4288 registrartion to an
> RFC 4289 registration. That makes sense.

Yes, see http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.types/799

> But you would still have to write a proper 4289 template for it.

What's a "proper 4289 template" ?  I've posted a pro forma review request
on the ietf-types mailing list as specified in chapter 2.2.2 of RFC 4289:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.types/797

Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:12:14 GMT

>on the ietf-types mailing list as specified in chapter 2.2.2 of RFC 4289:

Hmmm! RFC 4289 doesn't seem to provide for any templates. So when IANA
accepts a registration how does it record it? 

Ah! I see than an RFC MUST exist. But there is no standard format
(template) in which it must be described, which is unusual.