Subject: Re: ISSUE: Possibility to use non-resolvable domain name as path-identity

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:19:00 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Frank Ellermann <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Charles Lindsey wrote:

>> if a site has outgoing relayers "news1.site.example",
>> "news2.site.example", etc, it still might use "site.example" as
>> its <path-identity>, but in that case I would like to see at
>> least an MX record for "site.example".

>That's already covered by RFC 2142, abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has to
>work, they need either an MX or an address with an smtpd.

But we decided not to go that route (see #1093 below).

>>> say that "a path-identity SHOULD be the fully qualified domain
>>> name of the corresponding host (here news server)", and be done
>>> with it.  If it has no IP it has a good excuse to pick 'something'
>>> else, and then 'something' with an MX might be the second best
>>> choice, but maybe reality is weirder than we can imagine.
> 
>> Well, since that's almost exactly what I want it to say, can I
>> take it that you 'second' the Issue?

>As continuation of the #1093 saga, yes, it makes no sense to track
>the in essence same issue twice.

#1093 related to the 2142 issue, not the domain-name issue. So I request
Harald either to include the domain-name issus within #1093, or (better)
to create a new Issue for it.

As for #1093, I am surprised to find it still open. It reached a clear
consensus that we were not going to mandate any RFC 2142 adherence, but
Harald did agree that it would still be in order to draw attention to the
matter in a NOTE, and that is all I am currently asking for (indeed, the
NOTE text I have proposed was partly written by Harald).

>>>> we have agreed that we do not intend either to supersede/obsolete/
>>>> commend it.
> 
>>> TINW.  I certainly don't agree.

#1093 seems to have been resolved otherwise. You can, off course, request
it be reopened, but on re-reading the discussion I think you would find it
an upwards struggle.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5