Subject: Typos in USEFOR

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:35:15 +0200

Hi,

Just a few remarks on USEFOR in case it is still time (AUTH48?) to
take some of them into account.

In 2.3:

   User agents MUST meet the definition of MIME conformance in [RFC2049]
   and MUST also support [RFC2231].  This level of MIME conformance
   provides support for internationalization and multimedia in message
   bodies ([RFC2045], [RFC2046], [RFC2231]), and support for
   internationalization of header fields ([RFC2047], [RFC2231]).  Note
   that [Errata] currently exist for [RFC2046] and [RFC2231].

RFC 2045 and 2047 also have errata.  Shouldn't it be mentioned?
(Or no mention of errata at all?  It is not said elsewhere in the document.)

In 3:

    Each of these header fields may occur at most once in a news article.

What should we understand?  That they SHOULD NOT appear more than once?
Why isn't it said in a less ambiguous way?

Still in 3:

   Control
   Distribution
   Followup-To
   Newsgroups
   Lines
   Path
   Supersedes
   Xref

Newsgroups after Lines, in alphabetical order.

In 3.1.3:

      NOTE: The length restriction ensures that systems that accept
      message identifiers as a parameter when referencing an article
      (e.g.  [RFC3977]) can rely on a bounded length.

Only one space after "e.g." here.

Still in 3.1.3:

   The msg-id MUST NOT be more than 250 octets in length.

   Observe that msg-id includes the < and >.

Shouldn't it be <msg-id>?  (or message-ID?)

Still in 3.1.3:

   o  even though commonly derived from <domain>s, <id-rights>s are
      case-sensitive (and thus, once created, are not to be altered
      during subsequent transmission or copying)

A final dot is missing.
Incidentally, I think that lists should be homogenized in the document
(sometimes they end with ".", sometimes with ",", sometimes with nothing).

In 3.2.4:

   The <dist-name>s "world" and "local" are reserved. "world" indicates
   [...]

The whole section is impacted.  Full dots are not followed by two spaces.

In 3.2.6:

   The Followup-To header field specifies to which newsgroup(s) the
   poster has requested that followups are to be posted.

Shouldn't it be "the poster has requested that followups should be posted"?
Or with the subjunctive "the poster has requested that followups be posted"?

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Mais dis à ton ami qu'il cesse de jeter notre argent par les écoutilles ! » (Astérix)

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:04:30 -0700

> take some of them into account.

Currently, the documents are being edited by the RFC Editor, after which
Charles and I will get copies of their edited version to do any final
changes and reconciliation.  I'm fairly sure that they're both in that
state right now (they only tell me personally about USEPRO, but I imagine
they're editing the two together).

My intention was to go through the various messages here about USEPRO
sometime over the next couple of weeks and incorporate typo fixes and the
like into my copy of the document, and then do a three-way merge with what
the RFC Editor comes up with during AUTH48, sending the results of that
process to the list so that everyone can review.

I probably won't get a chance to look at the comments here in detail for
another couple of days.  I'm going on vacation tomorrow, but will be
on-line somewhat from Canada.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:08:22 +0200

Hi Russ,

> process to the list so that everyone can review.

OK.  I hope the "three-way merge" will be easy to do.

Enjoy your holiday,

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Bah ! Il est parti sur un coup de tête... » (Astérix)

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:07:38 GMT

>take some of them into account.

OK, I have forwarded these to the editors.

>(Or no mention of errata at all?  It is not said elsewhere in the document.)

I think you are right.

>Why isn't it said in a less ambiguous way?

It needs a MUST NOT.

>Newsgroups after Lines, in alphabetical order.

Already fixed by the RFE-Editor.

>Only one space after "e.g." here.

Already fixed by the RFE-Editor (and also a comma inserted, and likewise
many tiny edits to fit her "house style".

>Shouldn't it be <msg-id>?  (or message-ID?)

It should be <msg-id>

>(sometimes they end with ".", sometimes with ",", sometimes with nothing).

Yep.

>The whole section is impacted.  Full dots are not followed by two spaces.

A misfeature of nroff, I think.

>Or with the subjunctive "the poster has requested that followups be posted"?

Not so sure.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5