Subject: [Fwd: Son-of-1036]

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:36:56 +0200

Just to keep everyone updated....

Subject: Son-of-1036
From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Henry Spencer" <[email-masked]>, "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:25:45 +0100

I request publication of draft-spencer-usefor-son-of-1036-00.txt as an  
Historic RFC.

This draft, was written by Henry Spencer in June 1954, and subsequently  
revised by him, with my assistance with the detailed preparation, for  
publication as an Historic RFC. He will doubtless email you to confirm  
that this present request is made on his behalf.

In its original form, this draft was widely circulated, and was  
influential in the development of the Netnews protocols at that time, and  
formed the starting point for the USEFOR Working Group whose own drafts  
are now in AUTH48 as RFCs 5536 and 5537 (I am myself a joint author of  
both of those). Although never formally published as an ID, let alone as  
an RFC, I understand that there are precedents for such publications with  
Historic status.

The USEFOR WG had requested its publication some time back, in order that  
it could be referred to from within RFCs 5536 and 5537 (the only other  
current sources of the document are on private web sites which are not  
suitable for reference within an RFC). Lack of time prevented Henry from  
publishing it until I gave hiw a final prod, quite recently, and offered  
to do the grunt work in getting it out.

This publication project has been discussed during the AUTH48 exchanges  
between the authors of 553[67] and yourself (more specifically with Alice  
Hagens and Stacy Burns), and the USEFOR WG has been given an opportunity  
to comment upon it (which resulted in a few minor nits easily handled  
during AUTH48). I hope it will be possible to get it quickly at least to  
the stage of being assigned an RFC number, so that it may then be referred  
to in 553[67]; it would also be convenient to give it an RFC number less  
than 5536, if such a number is still available.

I can confirm that this draft has no IANA consequences (except insofar as  
some IANA templates currently attempt to reference it, though I am not  
sure that those references are necessary or correct).

I have CCed this to Harald Alvestrand, the USEFOR WG Chair, in the hope  
that he can suggest suitable reviewers for this draft, should you require  
them.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5