Subject: Re: You can't win!

From: John Stanley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:14:09 -0700 (PDT)

"Charles Lindsey" <chl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Now I have found two newsgroups where this is not quite working.

> 1. Newsgroup #1  ... bit-bucket ...

> 2. Newsgroup #2  ... returns to sender ...

There is a third possibility, which I have seen in action: ignores 
application/news-transmission header altogether and posts entire 
encapsulated message as the body of a new article with locally-generated 
headers.

This is, apparently, "stump", and the moderators aren't aware enough to 
notice the problem. Interestingly enough, the same person is involved in 
both newsgroups 2 and 3.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:26:08 GMT

>encapsulated message as the body of a new article with locally-generated 

That is what would happen if there were also a Newsgroups header in the
top-level email (and correctly so).

Or are you saying that it finds a Newsgroups header in the encapsulated
part, and then uses that to know which group it is aimed at, and then
posts it to that group(s) still encapsulated. That would be seriously
brokem behaviour.

Or are you saying that it knows the intended newsgroup because it was
emailed to that group's submission address. In which case might it not
happily post and spam emailed to that address? That would be seriously
broken too :-( .

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5