Subject: USEAGE referenced for Archive

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:36:37 +0200

Hi,

3.2.2.  Archive

   No <parameter>s are currently defined; if present, they can be
   ignored.  Further discussion of the use of the Archive header field
   appears in [USEAGE].

I do not see anything in draft-ietf-usefor-useage-01 about archives.
Is it still OK to reference it in USEFOR?  (for the future?)

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Un père à son fils : « Finalement, ta mère et moi, on a été heureux
  pendant 25 ans. Après, on s'est rencontré... »

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:48:36 GMT

>Is it still OK to reference it in USEFOR?  (for the future?)

The following text was planned for useage-02. Maybe I will even get around
to useage-02 :-).

9.1.4.  Archive

   There are various sites which attempt to keep a permanent (or at
   least exceedingly long term) archive of every article posted to
   Usenet (or to some part of it) and to make them available for public
   searching and download.  Clearly, this has Copyright implications
   which go beyond the normal presumptions set out in P-7.3.  Some
   posters take great exception to having their words on public display
   for ever (whereas other posters find it a useful resource of
   information).
[It has also been suggested that P-7.3 should be moved into this
document.]

   Posters who wish to exercise their right to withold permission for
   such sites to redistribute their words may include the header
   "Archive: no", and likewise "Archive: yes" explicitly to allow it
   (F-3.2.2).  The effect of omitting this header entirely is not
   defined, but posters should be aware that the current practice is for
   such sites to assume that such absence implies consent, and to go
   ahead and archive it anyway.

        NOTE: The header "X-No-Archive: yes" (somewhat confusingly
        named) has hitherto been used for this purpose and archiving
        sites will doubtless continue to take note of it, but in writing
        [RFC5536] the opportunity was taken to standardize it without
        that negative in it.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5