Subject: Rts of the country protests arose against

From: Hamrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:35:50 +0200

Uce his article. V. On April 26th a telegram from the Havas Agency
announced that the Queen of Holland had received the journalists of
Amsterdam, of whom Dr. Kuyper is President. I therefore wrote the
following letter to Mr. W.H. de Beaufort, the Dutch Minister for Foreign
Affairs: PARIS, _April 27th, 1900._ TO H.E. THE MINISTER FOR FOREIGN
AFFAIRS. SIR, The Havas Agency, in a telegram, April 26, gives the
following information: "Replying to a speech made by Dr. Kuyper,
President of the Society of Journalists, the Queen said she had read
with interest his article on the South African crisis, published in a
Paris review. The Queen expressed the hope that the article would be
circulated abroad, adding that she considered it important that it
should be widely distributed in America." That the Queen of a
constitutional government, such as that of Holland, should have spoken
in this way, proves that the Cabinet is of the same mind. I trust,
therefore, that I am not too bold in asking your assistance to carry out
Her Majesty's intentions. I had asked Dr. Kuyper's authorisation to
reproduce his article at the beginning of a pamphlet; he referred me to
M. Brunetiere, who with the courtesy of which he has given me so many
proofs, replied: "I hasten to refuse your request." M. Brunetiere's
views are evidently opposed to those of the Queen of the Netherlands. It
is true that the article would have been followed by my criticism, but
if the arguments therein contained are irrefutable, why fear the
proximity of my refutation? I beg you, therefore, to be