Subject: Typo in an IPv6 address in USEPRO

From: Julien ÉLIE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:15:18 +0200

Hi,

3.2.2.  Path Header Field Example

       Path: foo.isp.example!.SEEN.isp.example!foo-news
         !.MISMATCH.2001:DB:0:0:8:800:200C:417A!bar.isp.example
         !!old.site.example!barbaz!!baz.isp.example
         !.POSTED.dialup123.baz.isp.example!not-for-mail

   This article was injected by baz.isp.example as indicated by the
   <diag-keyword> "POSTED".  The injector has recorded that it received
   the article from dialup123.baz.isp.example. "not-for-mail" is a
   common <tail-entry>.

** Still a missing (double) space before "not-for-mail" (otherwise, in case
** it is a bug in the converter into text, a semicolon ";" could be used).

   bar.isp.example relayed it to foo-news, which, not being convinced
   that it truly came from bar.isp.example, inserted the <diag-keyword>
   "MISMATCH" and then stated that it received the article from the IPv6
   address [2001:DB8:0:0:8:800:200C:417A].

** The IPv6 address is not the same between the sample and its comment.
** I think (or better say Google hints that) the right one is the second one,
** with "DB8".

-- 
Julien ÉLIE

« Quod sis, esse uelis nihilque malis ;
  Summum nec metuas diem nec optes. » (Martial)

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:39:08 GMT

>** it is a bug in the converter into text, a semicolon ";" could be used).

I dislike the comvention of using double spaces between sentences, but it
is hard-coded into nroff (which regularly gets it wrong in edge cases such
as this one). There is no way you can write nroff source to force any
particular case to be exactly as you want it (same as some examples you
spoted in son-of-1036). I don't know whether xml2rfc does things any
better. Over to Russ...

>** I think (or better say Google hints that) the right one is the second one,

It originally appeared in usepro-06 as 2001:DB8:0:0:8:800:200C:417A in
both places (I was told this was a syntactically correct ipv6 address,
carefully chosen to be guaranteed unallocated for ever). So I suppose
"DB8" is correct. The error appears to have crept in when Russ copied my
example into usepro-07. I will leave it to Russ to correct it for AUTH 48.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:10:53 -0700

> ** it is a bug in the converter into text, a semicolon ";" could be used).

This is a tool limitation.  In the XML source, there is a newline after
that period and "not-for-mail" is on the next line.  xml2rfc doesn't use
two spaces after the period when reflowing the paragraph.

The paragraph currently uses one sentence per concept, and the part about
not-for-mail is not the same concept as the previous sentence.  I'm
hesitant to fiddle with the grammar to work around a minor rendering flaw
in the converter.

> ** I think (or better say Google hints that) the right one is the second one,

Thanks, I'll try to get this fixed.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:16:54 -0700

"Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I dislike the comvention of using double spaces between sentences, but
> it is hard-coded into nroff (which regularly gets it wrong in edge cases
> such as this one).

I'm completely anal about using two spaces between periods partly because
I personally find it more readable and partly because it was how I was
taught when I first began writing things on-line.  There are flaws in both
the single-space and the double-space compromises in representing
typographic sentence-separating m-space in a fixed-width medium, but I
think two spaces is clearer in a traditional fixed-width rendering and
fairly closely approximates a real m-space when (as is increasingly
common) rendered in a proportional font.

It's one of those things that I don't mention with other documents, but
that I tend to force on anything for which I'm a primary author.

Of course, if viewed in HTML, HTML rips away all repeated whitespace
anyway and it doesn't matter.  It's probably a sign of the strength of
habit that I double-space sentence boundaries even in things I write
solely to render into HTML.

> There is no way you can write nroff source to force any particular case
> to be exactly as you want it (same as some examples you spoted in
> son-of-1036).

Yes, you need the markup capabilities provided by a full formatting
language such as TeX to get this right, which include the ability to tag
specific periods as either sentence-ending or not sentence-ending.
Neither *roff nor the XML syntax used by xml2rfc are quite up to the job,
unfortunately (nor is HTML).