Subject: Diffs for the msg-id issue in -usefor

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 06:43:15 +0100

This note sent to make sure I have everything in one place, and to make 
sure I have informed the WG of what I'm planning to do.

Apologies for letting this drift so long.

Msg-id as defined in RFC 2822:

message-id      =       "Message-ID:" msg-id CRLF

in-reply-to     =       "In-Reply-To:" 1*msg-id CRLF

references      =       "References:" 1*msg-id CRLF

msg-id          =       [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

id-left         =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-quote / obs-id-left

id-right        =       dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal / obs-id-right

no-fold-quote   =       DQUOTE *(qtext / quoted-pair) DQUOTE

no-fold-literal =       "[" *(dtext / quoted-pair) "]"

Msg-id as defined in RFC 5322:

   msg-id          =   [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

   id-left         =   dot-atom-text / obs-id-left

   id-right        =   dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal / obs-id-right

   no-fold-literal =   "[" *dtext "]"

Msg-id as defined in -usefor:

   msg-id          =  "<" msg-id-core ">"
                      ; maximum length is 250 octets

   msg-id-core     =  id-left "@" id-right

   id-left         =  dot-atom-text / no-fold-quote

   id-right        =  dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal

   no-fold-quote   =  DQUOTE
                         ( "." *mqtext /
                           *mqtext "." /
                           *mqtext mqspecial *mqtext )
                         DQUOTE

   mqtext          =  atext / "." / mqspecial

   mqspecial       =  "(" / ")" /      ; same as specials except
                      "<" /            ; "\" and DQUOTE quoted
                      "[" / "]" /      ; "." doubled and ">" omitted
                      ":" / ";" /
                      "@" / "," /
                      ".." / "\\" / "\" DQUOTE

   no-fold-literal =  "[" *( mdtext / "\[" / "\]" / "\\" ) "]"

   mdtext          =  %d33-61 /        ; The rest of the US-ASCII
                      %d63-90 /        ; characters not including
                      %d94-126         ; ">", "[", "]", or "\"

msg-id as proposed by Charles to allow us to reference 5322:

   message-id      =  "Message-ID:" SP *WSP msg-id *WSP CRLF

   msg-id          =  "<" msg-id-core ">"
                      ; maximum length is 250 octets

   msg-id-core     =  id-left "@" id-right

   id-left         =  dot-atom-text

   id-right        =  dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal

   no-fold-literal =  "[" **mdtext* "]"

   mdtext          =  %d33-61 /        ; The rest of the US-ASCII
                      %d63-90 /        ; characters not including
                      %d94-126         ; ">", "[", "]", or "\"

The differences between this proposal and 5322 are:
- No CFWS before or after
- No obs-* productions
- No > characters inside a no-fold-literal

I think this is appropriate, and will tell the RFC Editor that he should make that change.

                   Harald

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:08:31 GMT

>   no-fold-literal =  "[" **mdtext* "]"
                           ^       ^

You seem to have found a couple of superflous '*' in there. Otherwise it
is all correct.

>- No > characters inside a no-fold-literal

There were also various other consequential changes to the text and other
nits from Julien, which I have already emailed you about off-list.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131            Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5