Subject: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5537 (1983)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 05:43:17 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5537,
"Netnews Architecture and Protocols".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5537&eid=1983

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: GLOBAL

Original Text
-------------
(a)  Section 3.10, first paragraph:

   A gateway transforms an article into the native message format of
   another medium, or translates the messages of another medium into
   news articles, or transforms articles into proto-articles for
   injection into a separate Netnews network.  Encapsulation of a news
|  article into a message of MIME type application/news-transmission, or
   the subsequent undoing of that encapsulation, is not gatewaying since
   it involves no transformation of the article.

(b)  Section 4 (page 29):

|  The updated MIME media type definition of message/news is:

|    MIME type name:           message

|    MIME subtype name:        news
 
     Required parameters:      ...

(c)  Section 4.1 (bottom of page 30):

|  The MIME media type definition of application/news-transmission is:

|    MIME type name:           application

|    MIME subtype name:        news-transmission

     Required parameters:      ...

(d)  Section 4.2 (bottom of page 31 plus top of page 32):

|  The MIME media type definition of application/news-groupinfo is:

|     MIME type name:           application

|     MIME subtype name:        news-groupinfo

      Required parameters:      none

      Optional parameters:      charset, which MUST be a charset
|                               registered for use with MIME text types.
                                It has the same syntax as the parameter
                                defined for text/plain [RFC2046].  [...]

(e)   Section 4.3 (page 33):

|  The MIME media type definition of application/news-checkgroups is:

|     MIME type name:           application

|     MIME subtype name:        news-checkgroups

      Required parameters:      none

      Optional parameters:      charset, which MUST be a charset
|                               registered for use with MIME text types.
                                It has the same syntax as the parameter
                                defined for text/plain [RFC2046].

Corrected Text
--------------
(a)  Section 3.10, first paragraph:

   A gateway transforms an article into the native message format of
   another medium, or translates the messages of another medium into
   news articles, or transforms articles into proto-articles for
   injection into a separate Netnews network.  Encapsulation of a news
|  article into a message of media type application/news-transmission,
   or the subsequent undoing of that encapsulation, is not gatewaying
   since it involves no transformation of the article.

(b)  Section 4 (page 29):

|  The updated media type definition of message/news is:

|     Type name:                message

|     Subtype name:             news
 
      Required parameters:      ...

(c)  Section 4.1 (bottom of page 30):

|  The media type definition of application/news-transmission is:

|     Type name:                application

|     Subtype name:             news-transmission

      Required parameters:      ...

(d)  Section 4.2 (bottom of page 31 plus top of page 32):

|  The media type definition of application/news-groupinfo is:

|     Type name:                application

|     Subtype name:             news-groupinfo

      Required parameters:      none

      Optional parameters:      charset, which MUST be a charset
|                               registered for use with 'text' media
                                types.
                                It has the same syntax as the parameter
                                defined for text/plain [RFC2046].  [...]

(e)   Section 4.3 (page 33):

|  The media type definition of application/news-checkgroups is:

|     Type name:                application

|     Subtype name:             news-checkgroups

      Required parameters:      none

      Optional parameters:      charset, which MUST be a charset
|                               registered for use with 'text' media
                                types.
                                It has the same syntax as the parameter
                                defined for text/plain [RFC2046].

Notes
-----
Rationale:
  RFC 5537 does not follow the IETF standard terminology reinforced
  by RFC 4288 and does not properly use the media type registration
  template from Section 10 of RFC 4288.
  RFC 4288 clarifies that IETF media types (and subtypes) have
  outgrown the Internet Email MIME environment and now are used
  in non-email environments as well; for instance in the context
  of Netnews (this RFC!).  Therefore, all mention of "MIME" in the
  context of Internet media types must be avoided.  See Sections 1
  through 3 of RFC 4288 for more rationale and Section 10 there for
  the registration template to be used since RFC 4288, in 2005.

Editorial Note (keep for update):
  The structure of Section 4 would perhaps more reasonably have been
  split into a single-paragraph Section 4 and packing the remainder
  of 4. into a new subsection 4.1, "Obsolescence of message/news",
  with the remaining subsection numbers 4.* bumped accordingly.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5537 (draft-ietf-usefor-usepro-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Netnews Architecture and Protocols
Publication Date    : November 2009
Author(s)           : R. Allbery, Ed., C. Lindsey
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Usenet Article Standard Update
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:44:13 -0800

>   the registration template to be used since RFC 4288, in 2005.

I missed this change when updating the document from RFC 2048 to RFC 4288.
It is correct.  Thank you!

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>