Subject: GoLive, Host and Destination Header

From: "Stefan Eissing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:17:31 +0200

I stumbled today about different behaviours when 
it comes to treatment of Host and Destination headers,
which I'd like to get your point of view on.

GoLive (5.0 tryout) does send a Host header in request,
however it omittes the port part. So, if you have a server
localhost:8080, GoLive will send a Host header "Host: localhost".

However in Destination headers, GoLive uses the correct URLs, e.g.
Destination: http://localhost:8080/test.html

Now, my Servlet checks these headers on a COPY/MOVE and responds
with a 502 (Bad Gateway), as source and destination do not match.

I checked with mod_dav: same behaviour:
I checked with IIS: works. IIS seems to disregard the host part
of the destination URL and performs the MOVE/COPY.

Now, you can look at it two ways:
a) Well, nobody can move to a destination on a different server,
   so ignoring the host part in Destination is Ok.
b) Non-matching host parts is an error and should be reported as such.

What do you think? How is your server handling this?

//Stefan

PS. I don't know if there is a newer version of GoLive where the
host header is fixed. Anyone can verify or comment on that?

---

From: "Keith Wannamaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 07:11:51 -0400

| Now, you can look at it two ways:
| a) Well, nobody can move to a destination on a different server,
|    so ignoring the host part in Destination is Ok.
| b) Non-matching host parts is an error and should be reported as such.
| 
| What do you think? How is your server handling this?

Xythos does allow moves and copies to (and from) a different server;
the destination header functions independently of the host header.

My reading of 2616 says the port in the Host header is required if
non-standard.  Therefore I would say Adobe's client's Host header 
is incorrect.

Keith

---

From: "Dylan Barrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:50:11 -0400

Our server also expects these headers to match. I would also vote that these
headers must match if the port is not 80.

--Dylan

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:38:22 +0200

Hi,

I was doing interop tests and encountered the following problem:

a) Set a dead property with no namespace, for instance by:

<propertyupdate xmlns="DAV:">
	<set>
		<prop>
			<bar xmlns="">123</bar>
		</prop>
	</set>
</propertyupdate>

This works, no error is reported.

b) A PROPFIND however returns XML formatted like this:

<D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:">
<D:response xmlns:ns0="DAV:" xmlns:ns1=""  xmlns:lp0="DAV:"
xmlns:lp1="http://apache.org/dav/props/">
	<D:href>/test/UTF8.TXT</D:href>
	<D:propstat>
		<D:prop>
			<bar>123</bar>
			<lp0:creationdate>2001-08-08T12:14:01Z</lp0:creationdate>
			<lp0:getcontentlength>32</lp0:getcontentlength>
			<lp0:getlastmodified>Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:14:01 GMT</lp0:getlastmodified>
			<lp0:getetag>"c5077-20-3b712d09"</lp0:getetag>
			<lp1:executable>F</lp1:executable>
			<D:supportedlock>
				<D:lockentry>
					<D:lockscope><D:exclusive/></D:lockscope>
					<D:locktype><D:write/></D:locktype>
				</D:lockentry>
				<D:lockentry>
					<D:lockscope><D:shared/></D:lockscope>
					<D:locktype><D:write/></D:locktype>
				</D:lockentry>
			</D:supportedlock>
			<D:lockdiscovery/>
			<D:resourcetype/>
			<D:getcontenttype>text/plain</D:getcontenttype>
		</D:prop>
		<D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
	</D:propstat>
</D:response>
</D:multistatus>

Note the invalid namespace declaration xmlns:ns1="", which is correctly
rejected by MSXML and AElfred (Saxon), but sadfully accepted by Xerces [1].
Also note that the prefix isn't actually used in the property, so maybe this
can easily be fixed by not creating the namespace declaration at all.

[1] <http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3040>

---

From: Hartmut Warncke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 16:50:10 +0200

Stefan,

> host header is fixed. Anyone can verify or comment on that?

No, there is no newer GoLive version, GoLive 5.0 is the current version. I
will check what I can arrange with the Host header in the future,

Best, Hartmut

---

From: "Julian Reschke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:31:19 +0200

Hi,