Subject: End: WG Last Call on ACL specification

From: "Jim Whitehead" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:07:15 -0700

This message marks the end of the WebDAV Working Group last call for
comments on the WebDAV Access Control Protocol specification,
draft-ietf-webdav-acl-06.  This last call period began on Thursday, June 21,
2001, and ended July 29, 2001. The message starting the last call was:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001AprJun/0313.html

While the last call period has ended, you may still submit comments on
the -06 (or later) revision of the specification. My best estimate for the
completion of a new revision of draft-ietf-webdav-acl is August 27th, so any
comments submitted before that time would be easily incorporated into the
next revision. Note that with the end of the last call period, the burden of
evidence required to effect a significant design change in the protocol is
now much greater.

There were several comments on this specification -- kudos to Stefan, Keith,
Tim, Peter and Alan for their thorough review.
Stefan Eissing:
http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-June/000591.html
Stefan Eissing:
http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-July/000595.html
Keith Wannamaker:
http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-July/000599.html
Keith Wannamaker:
http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-July/000602.html
Stefan Eissing:
http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-July/000605.html
Tim Ellison: http://mailman.webdav.org/pipermail/acl/2001-July/000611.html
Peter Raymond:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001JulSep/0036.html
Alan Kent:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001JulSep/0006.html

While many of these comments will result in modifications to the
specification, these changes will not, in my opinion, be significant design
modifications. As a result, it is my opinion as Chair that this document
does not need another Working Group last call for comments period when
draft-ietf-webdav-acl-07 is released (the -07 draft is the next revision).
My plan is to revise the -06 specification accoridng to comments received
during last call, and then give a few days for the commentors to read the
new specification and make sure their issues have been addressed. Once this
is done, draft-ietf-webdav-acl-07 will be submitted as an I-D. At this time
I will also forward it to the Application Area Directors for their comments,
and for eventual consideration by the IESG as a Standards Track RFC.

In plain English: the next draft is very likely to be the last one before
this specification is approved as a Proposed Standard (the first rung on the
IETF standards track).

- Jim