Subject: SAM: Simple AJAX Mashup techniques

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:30:05 -0700

http://www.inetword.com/mashup/SAM%20Spec.html

 From the specification:

Ajax applications can reach a wider audience by overcoming facets  
that make them appear isolated:

    A.  Users must log into each Ajax application separately.
    B.  Users must download and upload data to and from each Ajax  
application. Applications do not inter-connect.
    C.  Users often copy / paste content from Ajax applications into  
other documents. Such copies often loose formatting fidelity and look  
much different than they did in the source document.

These issues and the technical skills required to work around them  
may slow widespread use. This document recommends standards and  
techniques to solve these problems. The recommendations make use of  
proven standards, are easy to adopt, and support some of the most  
difficult Ajax scenarios.

-----------

The SAM specification aims to improve interoperability among "Office  
2.0" style applications (Web-based productivity apps like word  
processors, spreadsheets, presentations, and document management).  
The specification makes a series of technical recommendations to  
accomplish this improved interoperability. Many of the  
recommendations involve the use of WebDAV.

 From a WebDAV standpoint, some of these recommendations can be  
viewed as ways to improve WebDAV to make it more amenable to Web 2.0  
style applications.

For more background, see also this press release:
http://sharemethods.wordpress.com/2006/09/25/office-20-mash-up-demo- 
and-simple-ajax-mashup-best-practice/

- Jim

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:30:41 -0700

s/Ajax/Web/

On 2006/10/12, at 5:30 PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> other documents. Such copies often loose formatting fidelity and  
> look much different than they did in the source document.
>
> The SAM specification aims to improve interoperability among  
> "Office 2.0" style applications (Web-based productivity apps like  
> word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, and document  
> management). The specification makes a series of technical  
> recommendations to accomplish this improved interoperability. Many  
> of the recommendations involve the use of WebDAV.
>
> viewed as ways to improve WebDAV to make it more amenable to Web  
> 2.0 style applications.
>

--
Mark Nottingham
[email-masked]