Subject: acl settings and extended MKCOL

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:48:44 +0530

Hello,

The WebDAV ACL spec does not offer a way to create a resource and set 
its acl in a single operation. Nor does it let you discover the initial 
acl set on a new resource (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3744#section-12.3).

With the new extended MKCOL 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-webdav-mkcol), it is now 
possible to set properties and create a collection in one single operation.
By setting the DAV:acl property among those properties, one can achieve 
an atomic (MKCOL + ACL).
I think no WebDAV specification prevents a server from allowing this 
(especially given that the WebDAV ACL spec precedes extended MKCOL draft).
But isn't it something that would be worth mentioning in the extended 
MKCOL spec, either to clarify the expected behavior,... or to discourage 
its use if it is found to be problematic.

Arnaud Q

---

From: Henrik Holst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:56:59 +0200

> its use if it is found to be problematic.
DAV:acl is a protected property so it shouldn't be possible to set it using the extended MKCOL as far as I can see.
/Henrik Holst

---

From: Arnaud Quillaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:47:45 +0530

> DAV:acl is a protected property so it shouldn't be possible to set it using the extended MKCOL as far as I can see.
Per the WebDAV Spec:

<<

A protected property is one that cannot be changed with a PROPPATCH
   request.

It does not mean that it can not be created or changed by another command.

Actually, the CALDAV:supported-calendar-component-set property of the 
CalDAV Spec exposes that behavior: it is protected but can be initially 
set via the MKCALENDAR method 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4791#section-5.2.3)

Arnaud Q