Subject: Question about WebDAV MOVE/COPY with Overwrite header true

From: Till Niese <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:15:43 +0200

Hello,

I'm currently working on a WebDAV Server implementation in php.
But i'm unsure about the correct behavior of MOVE and COPY with  
Overwrite true and Depth infinity of a collection to a destination  
that already exists.
What will be the correct behavior if there is a collection or resource  
inside the destination collection that can't be deleted cause of a  
lock or missing permissions.
Will the complete MOVE or COPY fail cause the DELETE on the  
destination failed ?
And if the MOVE or COPY fails should the same Multistatus header a  
DELETE with "Depth: infinity" on this collection would return, be  
returned ?

Regards,
Till Niese

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:21:12 +0200

Till Niese wrote:
> Overwrite true and Depth infinity of a collection to a destination that 
> already exists.
> inside the destination collection that can't be deleted cause of a lock 
> or missing permissions.
> Will the complete MOVE or COPY fail cause the DELETE on the destination 
> failed ?

It depends on the implementation. WebDAV only requires best effort.

> DELETE with "Depth: infinity" on this collection would return, be 

That's the case shown in 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc4918.html#rfc.section.9.8.8>, isn't it?

BR, Julian