Subject: AgentX implementation reports requested

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:34:54 -0400

AgentX Implementation Report

Solicitation date:              April 25, 2001
Desired due date:               May 11, 2001
Required due date:              May 18, 2001
Draft summary report
posted to list by WG Chair:     May 21, 2001
Final summary report
submitted to IESG by WG Chair:  May 31, 2001

Please complete a separate report for each distinct implementation.

Please return all reports to the WG Chair, [email-masked].

We would appreciate having the reports copied to the AgentX list as well
([email-masked]).  If you do not copy the list (or otherwise submit
a report to the list), the report will be used only for the purpose of
producing the overall summary report.

Please use any of the "Comments:" areas to note areas of the specifications
that were particularly difficult to implement due to complexity, ambiguity,
inconsistency, incompleteness, etc.  It is very important for us to identify
any implementation hurdles here.  You may also use these areas for any
other notes that you consider helpful or otherwise worthy of WG attention.
Use as much space as necessary.

In the end, we need to show that IESG that we have at least two independent
and interoperable implementations of all AgentX features for advancement to
Draft Standard status.  I will solicit interoperability reports with an
analogous format next week (interoperability reports may come from end-users
of the implementations as well as from implementors themselves).

Report date:          __________________________________________________

Submitted by:          __________________________________________________

Organization:         __________________________________________________

E-mail address:       __________________________________________________ 

Implementation name:  __________________________________________________

Implementation type:  ___ Master and/or ___ Sub-Agent and/or ___ Toolkit

Runtime platform(s):  __________________________________________________

Reported version id:  __________________________________________________

If Master Agent, did you implement:

SNMPv1 support in master agent:   ___ Yes  ___ No
   Comments:

SNMPv2c support in master agent:  ___ Yes  ___ No
   Comments:

SNMPv3 support in master agent:   ___ Yes  ___ No
   Comments:

If Sub-Agent, what MIB(s) did you implement:
   Comments:
   (Please identify each specific MIB.)

If Toolkit, please identify:

Development languages supported:
   Comments:

Development platforms supported:
   Comments:

Runtime platforms supported:
   Comments:

For all implementations:  Did you implement the following PDU types:

agentx-Open-PDU:             ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Close-PDU:            ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Register-PDU:         ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Unregister-PDU:       ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Get-PDU:              ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-GetNext-PDU:          ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-GetBulk-PDU:          ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-TestSet-PDU:          ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Commit-PDU:           ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Set-PDU:              ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-UndoSet-PDU:          ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-CleanupSet-PDU:       ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Notify-PDU:           ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Ping-PDU:             ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-IndexAllocate-PDU:    ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-IndexDeallocate-PDU:  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-AddAgentCaps-PDU:     ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-RemoveAgentCaps-PDU:  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Response-PDU:         ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Does this implementation have interoperability experience with at least one
other independent implementation with respect to:

Registration operations:         ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Registration priorities:         ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Index allocation operations:     ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Index deallocation operations:   ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Multiple sub-agent connections:  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Connecting sub-agent(s) to multiple master agents:  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Detecting loss of connection of sub-agent(s):       ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Detecting loss of connection with master agent(s):  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

What transport mappings did you implement:

TCP/IP on port 705:                           ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

UNIX Domain Sockets on "/var/agentx/master":  ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

UNIX Domain Sockets on other endpoints:       ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Other(s):                                     ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:
   (Please indicate at least type(s) and connection specifics.)

Did you implement the AgentX MIB (RFC2742):   ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Did you satisfy the agentxMIBCompliance
           MODULE-COMPLIANCE requirements::   ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Did you implement the MIB as an integral part of the master agent:  ___ Yes ___ No
   Comments:

Did you implement the MIB in an AgentX sub-agent:                   ___ Yes ___ No
   Comments:

Please record any other comments or notes you deem useful for the record:
   Comments:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bob Natale
AgentX WG Chair

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Fock)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:30:32 +0200

Report date:          2001-04-26________________________________________

Submitted by:
Frank Fock_________________________________________

Organization:
AGENT++ (http://www.agentpp.com)_____________________

E-mail address:       [email-masked]

Implementation name:  AgentX++__________________________________________

Implementation type:  _X_ Master and/or _X_ Sub-Agent and/or _X_ Toolkit

Runtime platform(s):
Unix (i.e., Solaris, Linux), WinNT/2000____________________

Reported version id:  1_________________________________________________

SNMPv1 support in master agent:   _X_ Yes  ___ No
   Comments:

SNMPv2c support in master agent:  _X_ Yes  ___ No
   Comments:

SNMPv3 support in master agent:   _X_ Yes  ___ No
   Comments: AgentX context support in master agent is only
available with SNMPv3 support enabled.

If Sub-Agent, what MIB(s) did you implement:
   Comments: Master and subagent implemented as examples.
One subagent example implements the interfaces substree
with row registration and index allocation for Linux.

Development languages supported: C++
   Comments: ANSI C++ with pthreads or Visual C++ 6

Development platforms supported: Unix, WinNT/2000
   Comments:

Runtime platforms supported: Unix, WinNT/2000
   Comments:

agentx-Open-PDU:             _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Close-PDU:            _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Register-PDU:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Unregister-PDU:       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Get-PDU:              _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-GetNext-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-GetBulk-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-TestSet-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Commit-PDU:           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Set-PDU:              _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: I thin TestSet is meant here?

agentx-UndoSet-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-CleanupSet-PDU:       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Notify-PDU:           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Ping-PDU:             _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: Toolkit does not use it itself, but API user may use it.

agentx-IndexAllocate-PDU:    _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: It should be made clear within the AgentX RFC, that a
subagent implementation should always try to register also the table (entry)
object with the same priority as it registers its rows. This approach ensures
that a noSuchInstance error is returned when accessing a non-existent row.
Otherwise the master agent might return noSuchObject if no subagent
have registered the table object.

agentx-IndexDeallocate-PDU:  _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-AddAgentCaps-PDU:     _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-RemoveAgentCaps-PDU:  _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

agentx-Response-PDU:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Registration operations:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: NET-SNMP

Registration priorities:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: NET-SNMP

Index allocation operations:     _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: Index allocation seems to work with NET-SNMP master,
however the NET-SNMP 4.2 master agent does not propagate requests
with correct range (i.e., lower bound in AgentX PDU is lower than originally
requested OID for GETNEXT operations).

Index deallocation operations:   _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Multiple sub-agent connections:  _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: NET-SNMP

Connecting sub-agent(s) to multiple master agents:  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: AgentX++ subagents only support one connection, however
multiple sessions may be run over that connection.

Detecting loss of connection of sub-agent(s):       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Detecting loss of connection with master agent(s):  _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

TCP/IP on port 705:                           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: API user have to implement security mechanisms.

UNIX Domain Sockets on "/var/agentx/master":  _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: Of course, for Unix OS only.

UNIX Domain Sockets on other endpoints:       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: May be configured by API user.

Did you implement the AgentX MIB (RFC2742):   _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Did you satisfy the agentxMIBCompliance
           MODULE-COMPLIANCE requirements::   _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:

Did you implement the MIB as an integral part of the master agent:  _X_ Yes ___ No
   Comments:

Did you implement the MIB in an AgentX sub-agent:                   ___ Yes _X_ No
   Comments: This seems not to be straightforward, because subagent
will have to get all information from master -> why not implementing
it there?

Regards,
Frank Fock