Subject: Advancing AgentX from Proposed to Draft Standard status

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 01:10:25 -0400

Hi everyone,

Well, since we are safely in the period between the required six months
at Proposed Standard status for the AgentX protocol spec (RFC2741) and
MIB (RFC2742) and the 24-month initial duration limit for staying at a
given maturity level other than Internet Standard, it is time for us to
move formally toward progressing these specs to Draft Standard status.

To move to the DS level we need "at least two independent and interoperable
implementations from different code bases" with "sufficient successful
operational experience" with them.  I am aware of at least two commercial
and two "non-commercial" implementations at this time (and have heard of
others...I am not directly associated with any of the implementations).

The Working Group chair is responsible for documenting those facts, in
sufficient detail, for consideration by the IESG.

Therefore,  I am asking all implementors to prepare implementation
reports (format to follow) and for anyone who has used any AgentX
implementations (master agents and/or sub-agents) to prepare an
interoperability report (format to follow).  I will provide separate
report formats for the protocol spec and the MIB.

If at all possible, we would like to have such reports posted to the
AgentX list but, if that is not workable for whatever reasons in any
given case, please send the information to me privately and I will do
my best to ensure confidentiality.

We are allowed to make "minor revisions" to the specs in going from
the PS level to the DS level.  What is "minor" is a judgment call 
(made by the IESG, ultimately) but is usually obvious at the WG 
consensus level.  Anyone may suggest necessary and/or desirable
revisions to the specs.  I will do my best to go back over the
e-mail record and Dave Keeney's web site info to ensure that we
capture any suggested mods that have been discussed since publication
of the RFCs last year.  Contributions from the list to that effort
are warmly invited!

Lastly, I will propose a charter/milestone update for the A-Ds
to consider that will be focused on completing the work outlined
above prior to the 51st IETF meeting (London, Aug 5-10, 2001).

Finally (higher-order than "lastly"! :-), I sincerely request that
all active WG members -- especially the authors, editors, and 
implementors -- take proactive measures to make sure that I keep
this process moving per the above outline (or some later revised
version of it).  Assistance will be welcomed, nagging may be
required (and will be appreciated if and when needed!).

Feel free to post any questions or suggestions.

Cordially,

BobN
AgentX WG Chair