Subject: AgentX implementation report: {UCD,Net}-SNMP

From: Dave Shield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:39:27 +0100

Just squeezing in before the "Desired due date".
Sorry for cutting it so fine!

Dave

                            AgentX Implementation Report

Report date:           10th May 2001  __________________________________

Submitted by:          Dave Shield    ___________________________________

Organization:          Net-SNMP project   ______________________________

E-mail address:        <[email-masked]>   _______ 

Implementation name:    ucd-snmp  (also known as net-snmp)  ____________

Implementation type:   X  Master and/or  X  Sub-Agent and/or (X) Toolkit

Runtime platform(s):   Linux, *BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc   ______________

Reported version id:    4.2.1    _______________________________________

If Master Agent, did you implement:

SNMPv1 support in master agent:    X  Yes  ___ No

SNMPv2c support in master agent:   X  Yes  ___ No

SNMPv3 support in master agent:    X  Yes  ___ No

If Sub-Agent, what MIB(s) did you implement:  MIB-2, Host Resources, 
UCD-specifics
   Comments:  The AgentX support was added to an existing agent, so all
              prior MIBs were immediately available as AgentX subagent(s).

If Toolkit, please identify:

Development languages supported:   C
   Comments:  It is possible to use the libraries as an AgentX toolkit,
              to instrument external applications, but the API is not
              currently as cleanly defined as we would like.

Development platforms supported:   Linux, *BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc
   Comments:  Should work on most Unix-style platforms
              Also reported to work on Windows

Runtime platforms supported:       Linux, *BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc
   Comments:  Should work on most Unix-style platforms
              Also reported to work on Windows

For all implementations:  Did you implement the following PDU types:

agentx-Open-PDU:              X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Contexts not supported by master or subagent framework

agentx-Close-PDU:             X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-Register-PDU:          X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Range registrations currently not handled correctly.
              It is intended to correct this - hopefully for the next release

agentx-Unregister-PDU:        X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-Get-PDU:               X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-GetNext-PDU:           X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-GetBulk-PDU:           X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Master agent never generates GetBulk requests,
              but uses GetNext instead.  Subagent handles GetBulk OK.

agentx-TestSet-PDU:           X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-CommitSet-PDU:         X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-UndoSet-PDU:           X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-CleanupSet-PDU:        X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-Notify-PDU:            X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

agentx-Ping-PDU:              X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Implemented, but not used by the current release,
              though the development version does now make use of this.

agentx-IndexAllocate-PDU:     X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Not used by subagent MIB implementations

agentx-IndexDeallocate-PDU:   X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Not used by subagent MIB implementations

agentx-AddAgentCaps-PDU:      X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Not used by subagent MIB implementations

agentx-RemoveAgentCaps-PDU:   X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Not used by subagent MIB implementations

agentx-Response-PDU:          X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

Does this implementation have interoperability experience with at least one
other independent implementation with respect to:

Registration operations:          X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

Registration priorities:         ___ Yes   X  No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Priorities have been implemented and are believed to be working,
              but have not been tested against an independent implementation.

Index allocation operations:     ___ Yes   X  No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Implemented, but not tested against an independent
              implementation, or currently used by MIB modules.

Index deallocation operations:   ___ Yes   X  No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments:  Implemented, but not tested against an independent
              implementation, or currently used by MIB modules.

Multiple sub-agent connections:   X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

Connecting sub-agent(s) to multiple master agents:  ___ Yes   X  No, but plan 
to within ___ months

Detecting loss of connection of sub-agent(s):        X  Yes  ___ No, but plan 
to within ___ months

Detecting loss of connection with master agent(s):  ___ Yes   X  No, but plan 
to within  6  months
   Comments: This functionality is present within the current development code.

What transport mappings did you implement:

TCP/IP on port 705:                            X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to 
within ___ months
   Comments:  Also TCP/IP on other ports

UNIX Domain Sockets on "/var/agentx/master":   X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to 
within ___ months
   Comments:

UNIX Domain Sockets on other endpoints:        X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to 
within ___ months
   Comments:

Other(s):                                      X  Yes  ___ No, but plan to 
within ___ months
   Comments:  Transport mapping is implemented independently from AgentX
              support, so the suite will support AgentX over any implemented
              transport (e.g. definitely UDP/IP - possibly {TCP/UDP}/IPv6, etc)

Did you implement the AgentX MIB (RFC2742):   ___ Yes   X  No, but plan to 
within  6  months

Did you satisfy the agentxMIBCompliance
           MODULE-COMPLIANCE requirements::   ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to 
within ___ months

Did you implement the MIB as an integral part of the master agent:  ___ Yes  X 
 No
   Comments:  Since we haven't implemented the MIB, strictly speaking the
              answer is No.  But the intention is certainly to implement
              this within the master agent (only)

Did you implement the MIB in an AgentX sub-agent:                   ___ Yes  X 
 No
   Comments:  The necessary information does not appear to be available to
              the subagent (at least not without a private communication
              channel to the master agent, which rather defeats the point!)

Please record any other comments or notes you deem useful for the record:
   Comments:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -