Subject: AgentX implementation report: JAX toolkit

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 May 2001 19:02:29 +0200

Hi!

Here's a tight implementation report on the open source JAX toolkit.
I've removed those fields, that would be left empty otherwise.
The order and format of all remaining fields is unchanged.

 -frank

Report date:          08-May-2001

Submitted by:         Frank Strauss

Organization:         TU Braunschweig

E-mail address:       [email-masked]

Implementation name:  JAX

Implementation type:  ___ Master and/or ___ Sub-Agent and/or _X_ Toolkit

Runtime platform(s):  Java (plus a MIB compiler driver in C (UNIX, W32, ...))

Reported version id:  0.0.10

If Toolkit, please identify:

Development languages supported: Java
   Comments: Stub classes and implementation class templates can be
             generated by a MIB compiler. This MIB compiler is not
             part of the JAX distribution itself, but of the libsmi
             distribution.  Libsmi is not written in Java, but C with
             GNU configure stuff, so that it is also very portable.

Development platforms supported: any JDK

Runtime platforms supported: any JRE

For all implementations:  Did you implement the following PDU types:

agentx-Open-PDU:             _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Close-PDU:            _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Register-PDU:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Unregister-PDU:       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Get-PDU:              _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-GetNext-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-GetBulk-PDU:          ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-TestSet-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Commit-PDU:           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Set-PDU:              ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-UndoSet-PDU:          _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-CleanupSet-PDU:       _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Notify-PDU:           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Ping-PDU:             ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: To be precise, a sub-agent implementor can instantiate
             and emit a Ping PDU, but the receiption of the response
             would not be handled accordingly.
agentx-IndexAllocate-PDU:    ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-IndexDeallocate-PDU:  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-AddAgentCaps-PDU:     ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-RemoveAgentCaps-PDU:  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
agentx-Response-PDU:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

Does this implementation have interoperability experience with at least one
other independent implementation with respect to:

Registration operations:         _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: We used (only) the NET-SNMP master agent. We had problems
             registering sub-id ranges with the master. We tried to
             use it to allow multiple sub-agents to register separate
             rows within a common table.

Registration priorities:         ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Index allocation operations:     ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Index deallocation operations:   ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Connecting sub-agent(s) to multiple master agents:  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Detecting loss of connection with master agent(s):  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

What transport mappings did you implement:

TCP/IP on port 705:                           _X_ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___ months

UNIX Domain Sockets on "/var/agentx/master":  ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: Java does not support UNIX domain sockets.

UNIX Domain Sockets on other endpoints:       ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months
   Comments: Java does not support UNIX domain sockets.

Other(s):                                     ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Did you implement the AgentX MIB (RFC2742):   ___ Yes  _X_ No, but plan to within ___ months

Please record any other comments or notes you deem useful for the record:
   Comments: Our overall experience with JAX is quite limited, since its
             more or less a by-product of another Open Source project.
             However, we had 350+ JAX downloads so far without too many
             complains on our mailinglist. ;-)