Subject: AgentX implementation report: Compaq Tru64 UNIX

From: Michael Daniele <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 11:29:18 -0400

Report date:           05/08/01

 Submitted by:          Michael Daniele

 Organization:          Compaq Computer Corporation

 E-mail address:        [email-masked], [email-masked]

 Implementation name:   Compaq Tru64 UNIX

 Implementation type:  _X__ Master and/or _X__ Sub-Agent and/or _X__
Toolkit

 Runtime platform(s):   Tru64 UNIX V5.0 and later

 Reported version id:  

 If Master Agent, did you implement:

 SNMPv1 support in master agent:   _X__ Yes  ___ No
    Comments:

 SNMPv2c support in master agent:  _X__ Yes  ___ No
    Comments:

 SNMPv3 support in master agent:   ___ Yes  _X__ No
    Comments:

 If Sub-Agent, what MIB(s) did you implement:

        RFCs 1213, 1231, 1285, 1514, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2358,
        1907, 2742, and many enterprise-specific MIBs

    Comments: These of course were existing implementations (except for
2742,
              the AgentX MIB).
    (Please identify each specific MIB.)

 If Toolkit, please identify:

 Development languages supported:       C
    Comments:

 Development platforms supported:       Tru64 UNIX
    Comments:

 Runtime platforms supported:           Tru64 UNIX
    Comments:

 For all implementations:  Did you implement the following PDU types:

 agentx-Open-PDU:             _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Close-PDU:            _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Register-PDU:         _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Unregister-PDU:       _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Get-PDU:              _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-GetNext-PDU:          _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-GetBulk-PDU:          _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-TestSet-PDU:          _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Commit-PDU:           _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Set-PDU:              _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-UndoSet-PDU:          _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-CleanupSet-PDU:       _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Notify-PDU:           _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Ping-PDU:             _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-IndexAllocate-PDU:    _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-IndexDeallocate-PDU:  _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-AddAgentCaps-PDU:     _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-RemoveAgentCaps-PDU:  _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 agentx-Response-PDU:         _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within ___
months
    Comments:

 Does this implementation have interoperability experience with at least
one
 other independent implementation with respect to:

 Registration operations:         _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within
___ months
    Comments:

 Registration priorities:         _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within
___ months
    Comments:

 Index allocation operations:     ___ Yes  _X__ No, but plan to within
___ months
    Comments:

 Index deallocation operations:   ___ Yes  _X__ No, but plan to within
___ months
    Comments:

 Multiple sub-agent connections:  _X__ Yes  ___ No, but plan to within
___ months
    Comments:

 Connecting sub-agent(s) to multiple master agents:  ___ Yes  _X__ No,
but plan to within ___ months
    Comments: If you mean connecting a subagent, concurrently, to
multiple master agents,
              then "no".  But how is that germane to AgentX?

 Detecting loss of connection of sub-agent(s):       _X__ Yes  ___ No,
but plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 Detecting loss of connection with master agent(s):  _X__ Yes  ___ No,
but plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 What transport mappings did you implement:

 TCP/IP on port 705:                           _X__ Yes  ___ No, but
plan to within ___ months
    Comments: Only when built for testing, not enabled in shipping
product.

 UNIX Domain Sockets on "/var/agentx/master":  _X__ Yes  ___ No, but
plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 UNIX Domain Sockets on other endpoints:       ___ Yes  _X__ No, but
plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 Other(s):                                     ___ Yes  ___ No, but plan
to within ___ months
    Comments:
    (Please indicate at least type(s) and connection specifics.)

 Did you implement the AgentX MIB (RFC2742):   _X__ Yes  ___ No, but
plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 Did you satisfy the agentxMIBCompliance
            MODULE-COMPLIANCE requirements::   _X__ Yes  ___ No, but
plan to within ___ months
    Comments:

 Did you implement the MIB as an integral part of the master agent: 
_X__ Yes ___ No
    Comments:

 Did you implement the MIB in an AgentX sub-agent:                  
_X__ Yes ___ No
    Comments: This question and the one above are too loosely worded.

Please record any other comments or notes you deem useful for the
record:
    Comments:   This implementation has interoperated at various times
and
                with varying degrees of success with

                CMU/AgentX
                Peer/BMC
                Epilogue/ISI
                SNMP Research

                Based on our Tru64 UNIX experience alone, I do not feel
we
                accomplished the breadth of testing needed to warrant
advancing
                the RFC to draft status.

                I do not feel there are any issues in the specification
itself
                to prevent advancement.

                I am only saying that I personally have not done
sufficiently complete
                testing to make the assertion that it should advance. 
This is a result
                of scheduling issues, and of the various implementations
being incomplete
                at the time of testing.