Subject: Request for advancement of AgentX RFCs to Draft Standard status

From: "Natale, Robert C (Bob)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:22:51 -0400

Hi,

On behalf of the IETF AgentX WG, this is our formal request to
the IESG to advance the two AgentX RFCs -- RFC2741 (protocol)
and RFC2742 (MIB), both published in January 2000  -- to Draft
Standard status.

The WG collected 13 implementation reports earlier this year
and summarized them on June 20, 2001.  This summary report may
be viewed online at:

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/AGENTX-IMPLEMENTATION

These reports demonstrated that all AgentX features have been
implemented by two or more independent implementations and that
sub-agents from one implementation are able to interoperate
with master agents from an independent implementation.  A number
of the implementations are found in well-known commercial SNMP
products; several are found in widely distributed academic and/or
"open source" projects; implementations beyond those with filed
reports are known to exist.

Neither the referenced implementation reports nor the WG Last Call
on this requested action -- issued on October 1, 2001 -- identified
any changes to the cited RFCs that are required for implementation
or interoperability.

Over the course of its deliberations the WG did identify the desire
to add some mechanism for security credentials verification to a
future version of AgentX...or perhaps via a new adjunct protocol.
The WG intends to discuss the best way to charter this activity
after resolution of the present request for advancement.  Following
that discussion, the WG -- in concert with its ADs -- will make
an appropriate request or recommendation (in the event that some
other WG might be more appropriate for the work) to the IESG.

Please let me know if you need anything further from me in this matter.

Cordially,

BobN
Chair, AgentX WG