Subject: agentx and snmp

From: "vishnu varma chiluvuri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:06:03 +0000

Hi all,

This is vishnu from india and this is my first mail. we are working on 
optical ADM which works up to speed of sdh16. I have two questions.

1. for the telecom box which have multiple io cards and system controller 
card what are the advantages and disadvantages agentx can give when i 
compared with SNMP for communicaton between master agent and subagent.

2. some my friends proposing SNMP between the master agent and subagent by 
using snmp as explained below.
	A) set operation: when set request reaches master agent,master 		agent gets 
coresponding objects information from various 		subagents and stores in 
temparory memory. now master agent 		issues the set operation on subagent. 
if subagents sends any 		error in resonse messege of set request then master 
agetn 		again issue set request with old values.in this way they are 		doing 
set request automacity.

	 B)dynamic registration: to register with master agent , 		subagent will 
issue a set request to master agent to create 		entry in the registry mib we 
have at master agent. this 		registration mib have the all parameters 
required for dynamic 		registration. using like this dynamic registration 
can be 		acheived.

i am not much convence for this. just i want to put before you all. plese 
give me various points on the above methods.

with regards.
VISHNU

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> From: "vishnu varma chiluvuri" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: agentx  and snmp
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:06:03 +0000
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
...
> agetn 		again issue set request with old values.in this way they are 		doing 

Wrong.  Consider the case where the SNMP request contains variable
bindings requiring dispatch to different subagents.  If one of the
sub-requests fails, you're out of luck.

> required for dynamic 		registration. using like this dynamic registration 
...

Why re-invent the wheel?
Furthermore, if you include subagents from other vendors
in your product, how would they know how to interact
with this MIB?

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------