Subject: [Agentx] (no subject)

From: Arun Prabhakar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:03:57 +0600 (IST)

hi all,
		
what does the following mean

agent extension
sub agent extension
master agent extension

when does an agent extension is used
when does a sub agent extension and MA extension is used
i went through the RFC2741,where i could not understand much of these.

please reply.thank you in advance

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:22:59 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Hi -

> From: Arun Prabhakar <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Mar 10, 2005 8:03 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Agentx] (no subject)
...
> what does the following mean

subagent extensions and master agent extensions are two kinds of agent extensions.

> when does an agent extension is used

Whenever there is a need to modularize the implementation
of management capabilities.

> when does a sub agent extension and MA extension is used

Subagent extensions make the most sense when there is a need to support
components from multiple vendors, different lifecycles, system-specific
constellations of components, dynamic addition or removal, to name a few.

A MA agent extension makes sens for modular capabilities best implemented
within the master agent.  For example, implementation of capabilities like
the notification log mib, or extensions to USM, would probably make most
sense implemented as extensions to the master agent, rather than in a
distinct subagent.

> i went through the RFC2741,where i could not understand much of these.

That's not surprising, since 2741 is about subagent protocol.

A lot of useful information on the background and motivation for subagent
technology is available at
http://www.simple-times.org/pub/simple-times/issues/4-2.html

Randy