Subject: [core] FW: New Version Notification for draft-vanderstok-core-bc-03

From: "Stok, Peter van der" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:42:13 +0100

Dear all,

We have submitted a new version of the building control draft.

New aspects are:
- commissioning, and gateway to legacy examples
- Proposal to extend DNS-SD with sn, st, and ss attributes

Greetings
Kerry and peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday 14 March 2011 14:34
To: Stok, Peter van der
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-vanderstok-core-bc-03

A new version of I-D, draft-vanderstok-core-bc-03.txt has been successfully submitted by Peter Van der Stok and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-vanderstok-core-bc
Revision:        03
Title:           CoAP Utilization for Building Control
Creation_date:   2011-03-14
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 25

Abstract:
This draft describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
building automation and control (BAC) applications such as HVAC and
lighting.  A few basic design assumptions are stated first, then URI
structure is utilized to define group as well as unicast scope for
RESTful operations.  RFC 3986 defines the URI components as (1) a
scheme, (2) an authority, used here to locate the building, area, or
node under control, (3) a path, used here to locate the resource
under control, and (4) a query part (fragments are not supported in
CoAP.)  Next, it is shown that DNS can be used to locate URIs on the
scale necessary in large commercial BAC deployments.  Finally, a
method is proposed for mapping URIs onto legacy BAC resources, e.g.,
to facilitate application-layer gateways.

This proposal supports the view that (1) building control is likely
to move in steps toward all-IP control networks based on the legacy
efforts provided by DALI, LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,
and (2) service discovery is complimentary to resource discovery and
facilitates control network scaling.

The IETF Secretariat.

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.