Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-castellani-core-transport-00

From: "Angelo P. Castellani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 17:29:38 +0100

All,

in the current CoAP design the "message"-layer addresses transport
related problems, this is a good approach and I understand that we are
not chartered to do more than this (transport).

However in the process of evaluating and implementing CoAP on a
constrained device, I have initially tried to isolate transport
related features specified in the "message"-layer of CoAP and optimize
them (see overhead-00).

In that work I have seen that transport features of CoAP can be
enhanced, and advanced CoAP functionalities can benefit in having a
more advanced transport support (i.e. subscriptions, sequential
requests and large resources).

To this end I have extracted the "message"-layer features designed for
CoAP in a separate protocol using "messaging" communication model.

The resulting protocol based over CoAP "message"-layer is more general
and adds some interesting features that could be useful for CoAP too.

This is a very preliminary work, is at a very initial stage and for
this reason please be patient if it has any issue or bug.

I share it with the WG to understand if there is interest on it and
hoping to receive some feedback.

I extensively relied upon the work done by the WG in specifying the
CoAP "message"-layer, so thanks!

Best,
Angelo

p.s.: the draft is available here:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-castellani-core-transport-00.txt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 17:23
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-castellani-core-transport-00
To: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-castellani-core-transport-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Angelo P. Castellani and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:        draft-castellani-core-transport
Revision:        00
Title:           Constrained Messaging Protocol: an UDP protocol
extension useful for CoAP and other protocols.
Creation_date:   2011-03-07
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 20

Abstract:
This document aims at exploring the benefits of designing a more
general-purpose transport protocol for CoAP: the proposed protocol is
believed to be viable for implementation on constrained devices and
proves to be suitable for transporting CoAP request/responses.

The IETF Secretariat.