Subject: [core] CoAP-DNS mapping

From: "Angelo P. Castellani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:42:16 +0100

Dear WG,

in our work, we know that designing software for Class-1 devices is
generally a matter of selecting a strict set of
features/protocols/algorithms that enable our tiny devices doing the
wide range of things we want them to do.

I was daydreaming of having a mapping between DNS and CoAP, so that
the CoAP devices can GET, POST, PUT and DELETE values into the DNS
server as they where resources of a CoAP server.

This approach has (at least) two benefits:

1 -- we don't need to implement DNS on that devices

2 -- we have a protocol that enables (authorized) nodes to modify DNS entries

Point (1) helps efficient node implementation. Point (2) enables a
possible approach to solve ID-Locator split issues, generally
requiring complex systems (see the resource directory). Using the DNS
to name CoAP nodes enables reusing a well-known Internet protocol for
solving about 90% cases where these systems are required.

What does the WG feel about this mapping?

Best,
Angelo

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:49:10 +0100

Hi Angelo,

I don't understand your point 1; you mean DNS-client code?

I partially agree with your dream, but I only see it as a reduction of 
code on the client device.
We may use the coap security for the DNS access; given future 
edevelopments this may be a reduction in code size on the client.

However, I don't see changes to DNS taking place, but may be you can 
convince Stuart for his Hybrid-1 draft: 
draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-01.

Greetings,

peter

Angelo P. Castellani schreef op 2013-03-24 16:42:
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core