Subject: [core] http-mapping: selection of a default HTTP to CoAP URI mapping

From: "Dijk, Esko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 06:59:35 +0000

Dear all,

at the last CoRE meeting in Berlin it was discussed that we need to make a selection for a default HTTP to CoAP URI mapping. The options for this are currently presented in the http-mapping I-D, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-01#section-4.2 . Note that other (non-default) mappings are also possible; this is just about selection of a sensible default configuration.

Based on the analysis, solution #2 scores best and #5 second-best. Any input on these options (or other options/extensions/etc.) is now requested by the authors - please respond to the list if you have feedback! We would like to consolidate to one option for the http-mapping I-D around October 10th  and then do an update to -02.

Example HTTP URI for solution #2:
   http://mappingproxy.example.com/.well-known/core-translate/server.coap.example.com:4567/foo/bar?a=3

Example HTTP URI for solution #5:
   http://mappingproxy.example.com/.well-known/core-translate/coap/server.coap.example.com/4567/foo%2Fbar/a=3

Both map to a CoAP URI:
   coap://server.coap.example.com:4567/foo/bar?a=3

best regards,
(on behalf of the http-mapping authors)

Esko

________________________________
The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

---

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:42:55 -0400

Hi Esko,

Thanks.  Also, perhaps we could consider changing the title of the draft
as Andrew pointed out previously:

"We can discuss if a non-BCP should have "Best Practices" in the
title, but the objective is to provide examples of good usage for
implementers, not to give strong recommendations."

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg04461.html

How about changing the title to: "Guidelines for HTTP-CoAP Mapping
Implementation"?  Any objections to this?

(Note - the file name could be left as is, i.e.
draft-ietf-core-http-mapping)

Best Regards,

Akbar

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dijk, Esko
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:00 AM
To: core ([email-masked])
Subject: [core] http-mapping: selection of a default HTTP to CoAP URI
mapping

Dear all,

at the last CoRE meeting in Berlin it was discussed that we need to make
a selection for a default HTTP to CoAP URI mapping. The options for this
are currently presented in the http-mapping I-D,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-01#section-4.2
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-http-mapping-01#section-4.2>
. Note that other (non-default) mappings are also possible; this is just
about selection of a sensible default configuration.

Based on the analysis, solution #2 scores best and #5 second-best. Any
input on these options (or other options/extensions/etc.) is now
requested by the authors - please respond to the list if you have
feedback! We would like to consolidate to one option for the
http-mapping I-D around October 10th  and then do an update to -02.

http://mappingproxy.example.com/.well-known/core-translate/server.coap.e
xample.com:4567/foo/bar?a=3

http://mappingproxy.example.com/.well-known/core-translate/coap/server.c
oap.example.com/4567/foo%2Fbar/a=3

Both map to a CoAP URI:

best regards,

Esko

The information contained in this message may be confidential and
legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely
for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction
of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message.