Subject: [core] A protocol which may me of interest for core

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 10:14:41 +0200

Hi all,
 
My name is Jose Saldana. I am new in this list.
 
I have been working on a traffic optimization proposal (called Simplemux,
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux/), which has
been submitted to TSVWG.
 
The idea is to multiplex a number of packets together. If a "delay budget"
is available, some packets can be stopped for a while, and then sent
together into a single one.
 
Currently, if you want to do this, you have to use PPPMux [RFC3153], which
means using L2TP in addition. TMux [RFC1692] is another option, but it only
multiplexes multiplexes a number of segments between the same pair of
machines.
 
If Simplemux is combined with header compression (e.g. ROHC), bandwidth
savings can be achieved at the same time:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf/
 
Do you think multiplexing a number of packets can be useful in constrained
networks? It may reduce energy consumption, since the number of
transmissions could be reduced. The computational cost is not high: we have
implemented it in 2500 lines of code (https://github.com/TCM-TF/simplemux).
You can also see this README file:
https://github.com/TCM-TF/simplemux/blob/master/simplemux_readme_v1.6.18.pdf

Best regards,
 
Jose Saldana, Ph.D.
University of Zaragoza