Subject: [core] draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-03

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:36:54 +0200

Dear authors,

I have three questions and one remark regarding version -03 of the document:

Remark: What was the reason the document title "CORE Resource Directory"?
CORE is the name of the working group. Nobody outside the IETF knows
what CORE is and the lifetime of working groups is limited.

Questions:

a) Why are you using the DNS in the lighting example (from Section
12.1)? Does it gain you any advantage?

b) The use of DNS-SD also appears a bit artificial since RD and DNS-SD
provide overlapping functionality.

c) Could RD used with protocols other than CoAP, such as HTTP?

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:44:30 +0200

Hi Hannes,

> what CORE is and the lifetime of working groups is limited.

The same reason the well-known link is called /.well-known/core and not
something with CoAP in it:
This can be used with any of the three REST transfer protocols, not just
with CoAP.

CoRE = COnstrained RESTful Environments

> 12.1)? Does it gain you any advantage?

Using DNS is one deployment option that has often been requested.

> provide overlapping functionality.

Exactly, so the objective is to show how they can not only overlap, but
actually interwork.

> c) Could RD used with protocols other than CoAP, such as HTTP?

Absolutely, see above.

Grüße, Carsten