Subject: [core] A Research on Setting Transmission Parameters Configured to Values Specific to the Application Environment

From: "Alper Kamil Demir" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 17:04:21 +0300

Is there any research paper on setting CoAP transmission parameters (Chapter 
4.8) configured to values specific to the application environment? 

Because RFC7252 states that:
The values for ACK_TIMEOUT, ACK_RANDOM_FACTOR, MAX_RETRANSMIT,
   NSTART, DEFAULT_LEISURE (Section 8.2), and PROBING_RATE may be
   configured to values specific to the application environment
   (including dynamically adjusted values); however, the configuration
   method is out of scope of this document.

Best regards,
Alper K. Demir

---

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 11:16:08 +0200

Hi Alper,

Our team has contributed to the design and evaluation of CoCoA, which
adapts ACK_TIMEOUT on the basis of RTT samples [1]. We also experimented
with alternative NSTART values (using CoCoA) and alternative ACK_TIMEOUT
values (using default CoAP) [2].

I am not aware of research work evaluating the influence of the other
parameters you mention on CoAP performance.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Carles

[1] A. Betzler, C. Gomez, I. Demirkol, J. Paradells, "CoCoA+: an advanced
congestion control mechanism for CoAP", Ad-hoc Networks journal, 2015.

[2] A. Betzler, C. Gomez, I. Demirkol, M. Kovatsch, "Congestion Control
for CoAP cloud services", 8th International Workshop on Service-Oriented
Cyber-Physical Systems in Converging Networked Environments (SOCNE) 2014,
Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 2014.

> Alper K. Demir_______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core
>