Subject: [core] Benoit Claise's Block on charter-ietf-core-01-01: (with BLOCK)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:03:04 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-core-01-01: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-core/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two points I would like to discuss.

- "CoRE will also develop a way to make RESTCONF-style management
functions
available via CoAP that is appropriate for constrained node networks. 
This
will require very close coordination with NETCONF and other operations
and
management working groups."

What is the goal of this coordination with NETCONF?
Could RESTCONF be reused? If not, why not?
If yes, will RESTCONF need to be modified?

- What is the data model (language) used for the resources? For example,
RESTCONF uses YANG
Maybe, this information is in this paragraph

CoRE will work on related data formats, such as alternative
representations
of RFC 6690 link format and RFC 7390 group communication information. 
The
working group will complete the SenML specification, again with
consideration to its adoption in OMA LWM2M.

However, I have no clue what the second sentence means.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 23:13:45 +0200

Hi Benoit,

these are indeed useful clarifications.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-core/

We want to coordinate with the NETCONF WG to ensure that the result of
our work makes sense as a part of the overall NETCONF family.

The basis for COMI is RESTCONF, but there will be a need for some
streamlining.  It is not clear whether this will lead to modifications
of RESTCONF itself; more likely COMI will just be a dialect that is
applicable to very constrained devices.  There are different approaches
on the question whether the YANG models have to take some specific care
about being used in COMI, or whether COMI covers all kinds of
RESTCONF-capable YANG models, possibly with varying degrees of
efficiency based on how COMI-aware their design is.

> - What is the data model (language) used for the resources? For example,

YANG.

> However, I have no clue what the second sentence means.

This paragraph is not about management information, but about formats
for the actual content data (e.g., SenML is used to represent [time
series of] sensor data) and application interaction.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 10:34:30 +0200

Carsten,

> our work makes sense as a part of the overall NETCONF family.
Thanks. The coordination objectives should be mentioned in the charter.
> streamlining.
Can you expand on this, or point to a draft section/email thread.
> It is not clear whether this will lead to modifications
> about being used in COMI,
(I've not been following the core mailing list and I don't know which 
specifics you speak about)
I hope you will not go that path.
This would be a failure from an OPS point of view: we need a single YANG 
data model language, and not another data model language. In the end, if 
there are YANG specifics for constrained node networks, then it's a 
different data model language.
To illustrate my point: shall we see RFC 7223bis, A YANG Data Model for 
Interface Management for constrained networks?

Unless I miss something on the above, this should even mentioned in the 
core charter.

    CoRE will also develop a way to make RESTCONF-style management
    functions available, based on YANG, via CoAP that is appropriate for constrained
    node networks.

    +

    No YANG specifics for constrained nodes network ...

> or whether COMI covers all kinds of
thanks.
And LWM2M?

Do we need to expand a bit on those in the charter? I guess so

Regards, Benoit
> .