Subject: [core] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-core-senml-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 22:13:47 -0700

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-senml-14: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-senml/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this is easy to address:

§4.7  talks about how SenML can also be used to configure parameters and
controlling actuators. That capability has some rather significant security
implications, but I failed to find mention of it in the security
considerations. That needs to be explicitly discussed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Substantive:

§4.4: "If this value is a version number larger than the version which the
   system understands, the system SHOULD NOT use this object."

Why not MUST NOT? Are there situations where an implementation might reasonably
use an object with a higher version number than the implementation understands?

Editorial/Nits:

The title is misleading. It makes it sound like the document is just
registering media types; in fact it defines SenML.

§1, first paragraph: "This format was defined...": The antecedent of "this" is
unclear, since the fact the document defines SenML has not yet been mentioned.

§4.3, table 1: What do the asterisks mean?

§5.1.2, paragraph starting with "Note that...": I'm surprised to find normative
requirements buried in a note in an example.

§10, first paragraph: " the an integrated sum...": competing articles.

§14: "Sensor data can range from information with almost no security
   considerations..."
s/security/privacy