Subject: [core] RFC 8516 on "Too Many Requests" Response Code for the Constrained Application Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:48:01 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8516

        Title:      "Too Many Requests" Response Code 
                    for the Constrained Application Protocol 
        Author:     A. Keränen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11786
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-core-too-many-reqs-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8516

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8516

A Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) server can experience
temporary overload because one or more clients are sending requests
to the server at a higher rate than the server is capable or willing
to handle.  This document defines a new CoAP response code for a
server to indicate that a client should reduce the rate of requests.

This document is a product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 07:50:38 +0100

Thank you, Ari, for pulling this through.

Ari submitted the first individual I-D for this on 2018-03-05:
The process up to publication went through in less than 11 months.
(The document approval was 2018-11-19, so the RFC editing was responsible for the last two of those months, which includes two heavy vacation periods in US and Europe, so was much less net time.)

Not bad, but let’s see if we can get better yet.

Grüße, Carsten

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 05:48, [email-masked] wrote:
>

---

From: Ari Keränen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 19:45:50 +0000

Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen! Without your contributions and reviews it would not have been possible.

Cheers,
Ari

> On 23 Jan 2019, at 8.51, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core