Subject: [core] fyi: Non-traditional responses deployed in shelly.cloud

From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 10:47:55 +0200

Hi CoRE,

via a StackOverflow question[1] I found that there are home automation
deployments that use something very similar to non-traditional
responses: They send unsolicited representations with NON and 0.30 codes
and Uri-Path options[2].

While the precise method they picked may be questionable (I really
wouldn't want a dedicated code for that), this could be valuable input
and implementation experience on the whole topic of nontraditional
responses.

Best regards
Christian

[1]: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57558648/how-to-handle-custom-coap-options-non-standard
[2]: https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/images/CoIoT%20for%20Shelly%20devices%20(rev%201.0)%20.pdf

-- 
The detailed semantics of CoAP methods are "almost, but not entirely
unlike" [HHGTTG] those of HTTP methods.
[HHGTTG]: Adams, D., "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", October 1979.
  -- Shelby, et al., Internet-Draft Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)