Subject: [core] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-stateless-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 00:37:19 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-stateless-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-stateless/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is clear, easy to
read and quite useful. The security aspects are also well defined.

Please find below a single non-blocking COMMENT. An answer will be appreciated.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

-- Section 2.1 --
Why does this document update RFC 8323 definition of TKL? At first sight, the
TKL field definitions in this document and in RFC 8323 look identical.

---

From: Klaus Hartke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 15:05:42 +0000

Éric Vyncke wrote:
> Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is clear, easy
> to read and quite useful. The security aspects are also well defined.
>

Thank you for your review!

> TKL field definitions in this document and in RFC 8323 look identical.

The updated definition of the "TKL" field looks (almost) exactly like the "Len" field in RFC 8323. But it's different from the definition of the "TKL" field there, which is the same as in RFC 7252 (unless I'm missing something?):

RFC 7252:

   Token Length (TKL):  4-bit unsigned integer.  Indicates the length of
      the variable-length Token field (0-8 bytes).  Lengths 9-15 are
      reserved, MUST NOT be sent, and MUST be processed as a message
      format error.

draft-ietf-core-stateless-06:

   Token Length (TKL):  4-bit unsigned integer.  A value between 0 and
      12 inclusive indicates the length of the variable-length Token
      field in bytes.  The other three values are reserved for special
      constructs:

      13:  An 8-bit unsigned integer precedes the Token field and
         indicates the length of the Token field minus 13.

      14:  A 16-bit unsigned integer in network byte order precedes the
         Token field and indicates the length of the Token field minus
         269.

      15:  Reserved.  This value MUST NOT be sent and MUST be processed
         as a message format error.

Klaus