Subject: [Crypto-panel] Stage 5 of PAKE selection process

From: "Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:23:54 +0300

Dear Bjoern, Scott, Russ, Yaron, Tibor (and myself :) ),

Many thanks again for volunteering to provide overall reviews for the
nominated PAKEs on behalf of the Crypto Review Panel.

According to the PAKE selection process plan, at Stage 5 Crypto Review
Panel members write overall reviews for all candidate PAKEs, based on the
materials that have been gathered and verified. According to the plan,
Stage 5 will last until October, 30th.

Those materials (including all partial reviews) have been gathered (many
thanks, Yaron!) here: https://github.com/cfrg/pake-selection

Best regards,
Stanislav,
CFRG secretary

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 13:05:25 -0400

Stanislav:

I just want to make sure that I understand.  Is it correct that none of the algorithms is being dropped or revised based on the proof analysis?

Russ

> On Sep 20, 2019, at 12:23 PM, Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Many thanks again for volunteering to provide overall reviews for the nominated PAKEs on behalf of the Crypto Review Panel.
> 
> According to the PAKE selection process plan, at Stage 5 Crypto Review Panel members write overall reviews for all candidate PAKEs, based on the materials that have been gathered and verified. According to the plan, Stage 5 will last until October, 30th.
> 
> Those materials (including all partial reviews) have been gathered (many thanks, Yaron!) here: https://github.com/cfrg/pake-selection <https://github.com/cfrg/pake-selection>
> 
> Best regards,
> Stanislav,
> CFRG secretary
> _______________________________________________
> Crypto-panel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/crypto-panel

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:03:43 +0300

The CPace/AuCPace paper was updated “in place” (in the IACR ePrint repo) since the process started. Also, Hugo hinted that OPAQUE needs to be updated, not the base protocol but some of the options.

From: Crypto-panel <[email-masked]> on behalf of Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 23 September 2019 at 20:05
To: "Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Crypto-panel] Stage 5 of PAKE selection process

Stanislav:

Russ

Those materials (including all partial reviews) have been gathered (many thanks, Yaron!) here: https://github.com/cfrg/pake-selection

Best regards,

Stanislav,

CFRG secretary

_______________________________________________ Crypto-panel mailing list [email-masked] https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/crypto-panel

---

From: "Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 21:20:14 +0300

Dear Russ and Yaron,

The security proof reviews were intended only to provide input information
for the Crypto Review Members, who are intended to provide overall reviews
- thus no PAKEs were dropped in any sense.

In the PAKE selection process description it is assumed that during Stage 5
overall reviews are prepared with recommendations (of any kind) - and we
have an option that after overall reviews (conducted by the Crypto Review
Panel members) the CFRG chairs are not able to come to a decision. In that
case at IETF 106 meeting we’ll have a revision of the process (and decide
what to do next).

In any case, after a PAKE (or two PAKEs...) is selected, the process of
working on a CFRG document on Recommendations for PAKEs in IETF protocols
will only start - and then all minor things (like options, parameters,
implementation recommendations, etc.) can be handled.

So, in my personal opinion, at the current stage we need to reflect the
current understanding of pros and cons of each nominated PAKE - and then
we’ll see whether this allows the chairs to make any decision (and move to
specifying the winning PAKE in the CFRG document, taking into account all
known issues) - or continue the process of selection in some way.

Best regards,
Stanislav

пн, 23 сент. 2019 г. в 21:03, Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>:

> The CPace/AuCPace paper was updated “in place” (in the IACR ePrint repo)
> since the process started. Also, Hugo hinted that OPAQUE needs to be
> updated, not the base protocol but some of the options.
>
>
>
> *From: *Crypto-panel <[email-masked]> on behalf of Russ
> Housley <[email-masked]>
> *Date: *Monday, 23 September 2019 at 20:05
> *To: *"Stanislav V. Smyshlyaev" <[email-masked]>
> *Cc: *<[email-masked]>
> *Subject: *Re: [Crypto-panel] Stage 5 of PAKE selection process
>
>
>
> Stanislav:
>
>
>
> I just want to make sure that I understand.  Is it correct that none of
> the algorithms is being dropped or revised based on the proof analysis?
>
>
>
> Russ
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________ Crypto-panel mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/crypto-panel
>
-- 

С уважением,

Станислав Смышляев, к.ф.-м.н.,

Заместитель генерального директора

ООО «КРИПТО-ПРО»