Subject: [Crypto-panel] Request for document review: draft-dolmatov-magma

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:44:51 +0100

Dear Crypto Review Panel members,

Independent Stream Editor has asked for review of:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolmatov-magma/ 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolmatov-magma/>

in particular he wants to know:

1)  can the document be unambiguously implemented

and

2) whether there are any obvious security holes that should be noted as 
caveats

Thank you,

Alexey

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 15:49:54 -0400

I do not see any obvious problems, but I did not try to write code ...

I do not understand Section 4; I cannot figure out why it is in a
document that describes the Magma block cipher.

Section 3.2 says:

   A<<<_11  cyclic rotation of string A belonging to V_32 by 11
      components in the direction of components having greater indices

Since components are enumerated from right to left starting from zero,
can't this be greatly simplified by saying "left cyclic rotation".
Also, a comma is missing at the end of the definition.

Russ

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolmatov-magma/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolmatov-magma/>
> 2) whether there are any obvious security holes that should be noted as caveats
> 
> 
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Alexey
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Crypto-panel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/crypto-panel