Subject: [Dbound] Problem statement

From: Gervase Markham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:49:01 +0000

Hi everyone,

My name is Gervase Markham; I am part of the team which maintains the
Public Suffix List.

As someone has already noted on this list, before we can produce a
solution, we need to know what problem we are solving. To that end, the
PSL team have been attempting to make a list of all the known uses of
the PSL. It is here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Public_Suffix_List/Uses

Hopefully, that can be used to develop a better understanding of the
problems people are trying to solve using the PSL, and therefore the
problem any PSL replacement would need to solve.

If anyone has further information to add, that would be most welcome.
The document currently has good coverage of browser-based uses, but very
little coverage of what people using the many PSL libraries in
non-browser products are actually doing.

But either way, I hope this document can inform the discussion in London.

Gerv