Subject: [dbound] Spencer Dawkins' No Objection on charter-ietf-dbound-00-03: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 10:44:31 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dbound-00-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dbound/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a nit:

In this text:

"This working group will not seek to amend the consuming protocols
themselves (standards for any web, email, or other such protocols)
without rechartering, and such rechartering will only be considered
after
completion of the base work."

I was guessing that these emendations would happen in working groups that
are responsible for the protocols, but this paragraph makes it sound like
this working group would be rechartered to do that work. Is that what you
intend to happen?

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 14:33:45 -0400

>> after completion of the base work."
>

The intent is that *if* the work is to be done in this working group,
it would require a recharter.  Clearly, the process of rechartering
would include making a decision about the right place to do the work:
the IESG won't approve a work item for this working group if it thinks
that item should be done elsewhere.

Do you really think the charter text needs to be changed to clarify
that?  If so, please propose text.

Barry

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 13:55:07 -0500

Hi, Barry,

> that item should be done elsewhere.

Right. I was reading this text as pointing out that the work might be done
in a rechartered DBOUND, without mentioning that the work group could also
be added to the charter of working groups responsible for the consuming
protocols.

You and I know that the second possibility is a possibility. I was thinking
that pointing this out in the charter might be helpful.

> that?  If so, please propose text.

Perhaps something like this, but do the right thing.

"If amendments to the consuming protocols themselves (standards for
any web, email or other such protocols) are needed, those
amendments will only be chartered after the base work is completed, and
the work may be rechartered in DBOUND or in another working group
responsible for maintaining the consuming protocol."

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 15:55:22 -0400

I went with this in -04:

<<
This working group will not seek to amend the consuming protocols
themselves (standards for any web, email, or other such protocols)
under this charter.  If such work is desirable, it will be assigned to
another appropriate working group or defined as a work item in an
updated charter. Rechartering will only be considered after completion
of the base work.

Barry

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 06:44:58 -0500

Hi, Barry,

> I went with this in -04:

Perfect. Thanks.