Subject: [dispatch] yet another need for session correlation (was Re: [RAI] session-id )

From: Salvatore Loreto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:58:24 +0200

Hi there,

the need for a way to correlate sessions has been discussed recently in 
the RAI ml:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rai/current/msg00977.html

and also previously in the DISPATCH ml:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dispatch/current/msg02398.html

in both the threads people have highlighted that how to correlate sessions
is a need that is present in different wgs (e.g. sipclf, siprec)
other then for debugging purpose in draft draft-kaplan-dispatch-session-id;
I want to remember that there is the same need also in the SPLICES wg.

I am not sure about the need for it in SIPCLF and in SIPREC,

but in SPLICES there is a need to correlate a session made by two or more
different outgoing dialogs generated by the same user so that they are
treated by the far end of the session as a single media session.
Because the presence of B2BUA in a SIP network is highly probable,
also in SPLICES the correlation mechanism should have the property to
pass transparently through the B2BUA.
(Note: for specific discussion on SPLICE the right venue is SPLICES ml:
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/splices)

In the draft-kaplan-dispatch-session-id the need is different,
as it to identify, for troubleshooting purpose, one single dialog that 
happens
to be split in two (incoming and outgoing ) going thru the B2BUA.

However, in SPLICES we could reuse the session-id mechanism, just adding 
a different usage for it
as been suggested for SIPREC or SIPCLF.

cheers
/Sal

-- 
Salvatore Loreto
www.sloreto.com