Subject: [drinks] Hiroshima, Virtual Interim & Milestones Proposal

From: "Alexander Mayrhofer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:22:12 +0200

All,

Richard and me had a lengthy discussion about whether or not to hold a
session in Hiroshima. Unfortunately it is now fixed that neither of the
co-chairs can attend the meeting in person. In addition, a poll that we
have performed about attendance (http://doodle.com/8xgg5g9bnzrhaka8) in
addition to private messages have indicated that interest among the main
contributors is very low. 

Therefore, we have decided to NOT have a session in Hiroshima. 

However, to proceed with work efficiently, we are looking into holding a
Virtual Interim Meeting for DRINKS. We're currently sorting out
potential dates for that, and will come up with a proposal very soon. It
will likely be a longer meeting than a typical "physical" session slot.

One action item to be followed up from the Stockholm session is the
Milestones Update for the group. Our current Milestones are horribly
outdated, and are as follows:

Sep 2008: Requirements for Session Establishment Data (SED) Exchanges

Nov 2008: Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED) from data
providers to registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners.

Feb 2009: Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED) from registries
to Location Routing Function databases

We have already proposed updated milestones in the Stockholm session,
with the major change (besides shifting all Milestones by 1.5 years)
being the split between protocol and transport documents. Please
consider the following as a first rough "strawman proposal" up for
discussion:

April 2010: Submitting a document about Requirements and Use Cases for
Session Establishment Data (SED) Exchanges to the IESG as Proposed
Standard.

July 2010: Submitting the Protocol Document about Exchange of Session
Establishment Data (SED) from data providers to registries or between
bi/multi-lateral partners to the IESG as Proposed Standard.

July 2010: Sumitting a Transport mapping document for the Exchange of
Session Establishment Data (SED)  to the IESG as Proposed Standard.

Nov 2010: Submitting a document about Exchanging Session Establishment
Data (SED) from registries to Location Routing Function Databases as
Proposed Standard to the IESG.

Please comment on the above proposed milestones (timeframe, scope
realistic?) - also, if you have other work that you would like the WG to
achieve in the near future, please bring it forward now (and note that
we would also expect you to contribute on that work!)

Thanks

Alex & Richard

---

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:40:45 -0400

Those dates look fine to me.  With respect to the protocol I see the major feedback from Stockholm as:

1) Do not use NAPTRs as the provisioning data structure.  This is a significant, but good, change to the current protocol design that will take some time.
2) Not going to design extremes to allow the use of classic REST is perfectly fine, even desirable.  Focus on XML based "protocol" data structures and a SOAP based "transport".
3) Need to separate the LUF protocol out from the LRF protocol to allow, but not require, the logical and/or physical separation of the provisioning activities related to these two functions in cases where that is appropriate. This is a significant change to the current protocol design that will take some time.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexander Mayrhofer
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 4:22 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [drinks] Hiroshima, Virtual Interim & Milestones Proposal

All,

Thanks

Alex & Richard

_______________________________________________
drinks mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/drinks

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network Services.
Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.