Subject: Re: [Endymail] How an endymail eco-system might incorporate web of trust features

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:52:16 +0200

On Monday, September 29, 2014 3:09:01 PM CEST, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> If you want regular people to use end to end encrypted email, the risk
> that they lose access to their data and their pics is vastly more
> serious than the risk of government intercept.

Perhaps, but as usual perception may differ, and perception governs use.

If the government's attitude is "collect it all" and there have been 
scandals about the misuse of similar data, then one can quite reasonably 
say: "I may lose data. But I know the government will misuse data. Will 
beats may."

Arnt

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 08:56:09 -0400

> say: "I may lose data. But I know the government will misuse data. Will

That is why it is a choice.

But remember that the brief here is to prevent the illegal use of
government wiretapping capabilities and in particular end military
intercept capabilities. The number of generals who have staged coups
against democracies in the name of protecting democracy is very long.

Preventing covert intercept and bulk intercept are the common concern.
Preventing a lawful disclosure of stored data under court order is
another issue entirely.

---

From: Alex Elsayed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 14:54:23 -0700

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> [We don't have a name for the person sending Alice spam, I suggest
> [Spaulding]

Or perhaps [Sanford]