Subject: [Ietf-and-github] Éric Vyncke's Abstain on draft-ietf-git-github-wg-configuration-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 05:32:52 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-git-github-wg-configuration-06: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-git-github-wg-configuration/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I abstain with the meaning of "I oppose this document but understand that
others differ and am not going to stand in the way of the others." per
https://www.ietf.org/standards/process/iesg-ballots/

Is there a reason why "GitHub" is used rather than simply "Git" ? Is it
implicit to be the commercial web site "github.com" ? If so, let's be clear in
this first document from the GIT WG. Alternatives such as GitLab and BitBucket
are only briefly mentioned.

And, I understand that the GIT charter is also quite vague on this topic and
SHOULD be updated to make it clear if this document is not clear about what is
"GitHub".

The document itself is clear, easy to read, and sensible except for the unique
perceived focus of "github.com".

Finally, I cannot accept that an IETF document in 2020 proposes to use an
IPv4-only web site (see also the IAB statement
https://www.iab.org/2016/11/07/iab-statement-on-ipv6 ). Let's eat our own dog
food.

-éric