Subject: [Ietf-and-github] Martin Vigoureux's No Objection on draft-ietf-git-using-github-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Martin Vigoureux via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 04:00:27 -0700

Martin Vigoureux has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-git-using-github-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-git-using-github/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I share most of the concerns raised by my co-ADs.

What I'd really like to see is some clarifications added such that it is clear
that these recommandations are not for all IETF WGs. There is a sentence which
aims at stating that:
   The requirements here apply to the case where Working Groups decide
   to use GitHub as a primary means of interaction.
But in fact before that one can also read:
   The intent is to allow each Working Group ...
and after that:
   Each Working Group SHOULD create ...
   Each Working Group MAY ...
plus many occurrences of "Working Groups" (plural).

To resolve the ambiguity may be you could do:
   The intent is to allow a Working Group considerable flexibility in how it
   uses GitHub. The Working Group SHOULD create its own new organisation. The
   Working Group MAY ...

And/or maybe reinforce the first sentence by clarifying that, in the rest of
the document, "Working Groups" refer to working groups which have decided to
use GitHub.

-m

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 13:28:13 +0100

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-git-using-github/

I do not understand this.

It is people who decide to use or not use github for their work in that 
WG.  SOme people in the same WG use it, others dont.

Because of that, maybe clarify that the recommendations written in this 
I-D are for Contributors to I-D in a a WG, not for WG chairs. (?)

Other people dont work in WGs (independent track) and, among them, still 
some use github and others no.

WG chairs can accept or not accept that the Contributors in a document 
use github or not.

I do not know what can be recommended to WG Chairs about using or not 
using github.  Maybe the Chairs use github to maintain the Charter text, 
if they so want.  Maybe the Chairs use github to store the presentaiton 
material at a WG meeting.  Maybe the Chairs request contributors to 
store the presentation material on github.

Some people might be prohibited by employer's policy from creating an 
account on github.  It is an assumptionn that I did see: the creator of 
a sharepoint repository assumed that people would prefer to use their 
company email address and not their other private address, which is 
typiccally used on github.

Alex

> 
> -m
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-and-github mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-and-github
>

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 14:10:21 +1100

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, at 22:00, Martin Vigoureux via Datatracker wrote:
> that these recommandations are not for all IETF WGs. 

Without adding a caveat to every recommendation, do you think that the changes in https://github.com/ietf-gitwg/using-github/pull/46/files address your central concern?

Those are very prominent statements and I believe that they will help establish the right expectations.

---

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 13:32:37 +0100

Hello Martin

thank you for looking at this.

Ideally I would have also liked s/Each Working Group/The Working Group/ 
but I agree with you that the new sentence does the job of setting the 
context in which to read the document.

-m

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 11:38:36 +1100

> context in which to read the document.

My bad.  I missed that with so much stuff going on.

https://github.com/ietf-gitwg/using-github/pull/54 does this.  I might have to tweak that again based on the results of merging other changes, but I hope that this helps.

---

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:10:02 +0100

Thank you Martin

-m