Subject: Re: [Ietf-and-github] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-git-using-github-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 13:00:07 -0400

You can suggest that, but you would be wrong :)  We have scope to our
process for a reason, namely to prevent surprises late in the process.
It's deeply disrespectful to people who have put in a lot of good faith
work based on the IESG's express commitment in the charter to say now,
"well maybe we shouldn't have chartered this work".

And despite Warren's assertion to the contrary, I have trouble reading his
objection any other way.  The whole point of the group was to recommend
practices.

--Richard

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> In the spirit of what Warren says below (and an offlist conversation
> I've had with him), may I suggest that -- for the moment, at least --
> we avoid out-of-hand rejection of his DISCUSS as inadmissible, and
> instead have at least some of the discussion, with the goal of finding
> whether there's something we can say more or differently in the
> document that would allay his concerns?
>
> Warren can always go back to "abstain" after that discussion... or
> even "no objection" if the discussion bears fruit.
>
> Barry