Subject: Re: [lisp] Comments on draft-fuller-lisp-alt-04

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:46:06 -0500 (EST)

> From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>

    > An ALT router may connect to many peers, but the messages exchanged
    > between them will be small. 

Indeed. It's important to remember that what's being propogated over the ALT
mesh-hierarchy are _not_ the mappings themselves, but rather paths to ETRs
which are authoritative for a given chunk of address space (i.e. can provide
those mappings). So changes should indeed almost never happen.

(Also, of course, this information is being propogated not as paths _to the
ETR_, but paths _to the chunk of address space_; another important
distinction conceptually, if the practical implications are considerably less
that the previous one.)

	Noel

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 16:58:18 -0500

Excerpts from Noel Chiappa on Fri, Feb 06, 2009 04:46:06PM -0500:
>     > An ALT router may connect to many peers, but the messages
>     > exchanged between them will be small. 
> 
> Indeed. It's important to remember that what's being propogated over
> the ALT mesh-hierarchy are _not_ the mappings themselves, but rather
> paths to ETRs which are authoritative for a given chunk of address
> space (i.e. can provide those mappings). So changes should indeed
> almost never happen.

i.e. the messages will not only be small but few.

> (Also, of course, this information is being propogated not as paths
> _to the ETR_, but paths _to the chunk of address space_; another

Nit: not to a chunk of address space, but to one or more mapping
authorities for a chunk of address space.  (Sometimes this matters.)

Scott