Subject: Re: [lisp] LISP Mobility Architecture

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:35:29 +0300

Dino,

Sorry for the very late reply, but I am slowly working through the 
backlog of mail for my WGs after having returned to work...

> I do agree with Jari's point. We have to be careful about 
> feature-creep in LISP. But from customers we have talked to, deploying 
> LISP *just to solve the route scalability problem* may not be 
> compelling enough.
>
> So we have to balance this view. But we can't have the cart come 
> before the horse.

Exactly -- the cart before the horse part was what I was worried about. 
I fully understand the customer situation you explain above -- and that 
is something that we see with many technologies, not just with LISP. And 
yes, mobility and many other things can be very important.

But back to the cart-before-the-horse issue. My goal with this working 
group is that it would figure out what the basics of LISP are, change 
what the collective expertise of IETF engineers say needs to change, 
figure out what the possible problem areas are, get code out that we can 
see if LISP actually works and whether the problems were real. We're not 
quite there yet. But when that work is complete THEN its time to look at 
the additional features.

In other words, I'm trying to be the release manager for your first 
release of RFCs. I want you to focus on the basics first, and that's 
what the charter says. Get the foundation right, and you can build other 
stuff later.

Jari

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:29:26 -0700

> But back to the cart-before-the-horse issue. My goal with this  
> working group is that it would figure out what the basics of LISP  
> are, change what the collective expertise of IETF engineers say  
> needs to change, figure out what the possible problem areas are, get  
> code out that we can see if LISP actually works and whether the  
> problems were real. We're not quite there yet. But when that work is  
> complete THEN its time to look at the additional features.

Agree 100%.

> what the charter says. Get the foundation right, and you can build  
> other stuff later.

Agree and we do need a release manager, so thanks for taking on that  
role.

Dino