Subject: [lisp] Taking a break from the UDP checksum

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 20:16:25 -0400

Several people have contacted me saying that the current discussion is
very frustrating.  I couldn't agree more!  We're at each others'
throats.

Dave and I started a brainstorming session trying to figure out how we
could hopefully work better together.  I'm really interested in
talking off-list with anyone else who has ideas on that.

Meanwhile, I think it would be great if we take a step back.  I think
this discussion has brought up a lot of important issues on all sides
of the debate.  However somewhere along the line, we all seem to have
lost the balance/belief that we're all trying to build a better
Internet.  We're making suggestions because we believe we're bringing
up important issues not because we're trying to slow things down or
create obstructions.  If someone seems to be making unworkable
suggestions, then we are forgetting to understand why they think
breaking something we care about is the right decision, or to take the
time to explain to them what is unworkable about their proposals.
We're getting to hurried and aren't working well together.

So, let's take a break, give the authors a chance to actually enter
the issues Margaret has requested and any other issues they see
brought up on the list.  Let's all calm down and we can approach this
again in a couple of days, hopefully from a new balanced view.