Subject: [lisp] Injecting a bit of calm

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:37:33 -0400

Folks, the discussion has definitely produced a lot of interesting
comments over the past couple of days.  However in some instances it
has been somewhat heated.  When replying, please take a moment to
consider things from the standpoint of the person you are replying to.
If you feel that you simply disagree with someone, then that's fine;
state your disagreement.  We have different priorities and
understandings; we may not always agree with each other.

However if you are frustrated and feel that someone is not being
reasonable, take a while to try and understand things from their
standpoint before responding.  Make sure your response is constructive
and will help explore the disagreement.  Questions about why someone
thinks something are far better than assertions that they are being
unreasonable or are ignoring some point of view.

Ultimately if you think someone really is being unreasonable, talking
to them in private, ignoring their message, and talking to the chairs
are all better options than a message to the list.

Thanks for your consideration,

Sam Hartman
LISP co-chair