Subject: [lisp] Question regarding lisp-mn

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:10:07 +0100

Hi,

in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-meyer-lisp-mn-00#section-6.1
it seems that map-servers are authoritative sources for the mappings of 
EIDs for mobile nodes. For other types of EIDs, the ETRs are the 
authoritative sources. Is that right?

in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-meyer-lisp-mn-00#section-9
it is stated that a mobile node's RLOC is an EID which needs to be 
encapsulated by another RLOC when leaving the edge network. So what's 
the EID of a mobile node then? Does it still denote an endpoint? I don't 
believe so.

Figure 2 nicely shows that 3 different types of addresses exist:
outer-header: typical RLOC for routing between edge networks (global 
locator)
middle-header: address used for routing within an edge network (local 
locator)
inner-header: stable address used for identification on higher layers 
(location-independent identifier)

I see the principle of the three different components in most proposals 
when they deal with mobility. However, in "normal" LISP, local locators 
are used for identification, which works well as long as they are 
stable. This saves an additional encapsulation header. Opinions?

Regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/31-86644 (new), fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn