Subject: [lisp] Map-Request error

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:58:02 -0500 (EST)

So, what happens if/when a Map-Request packets arrives at an ETR which is not
authoritative for the request EID? I looked at the spec, but I don't think
how to handle this is described? (Although perhaps I was just too hasty?)

I would assume this should result in an error reply, but I don't think LISP
has error replies (yet)?

	Noel

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:59:50 -0500

LISP does have negative replies.

THe interesting problem in this case is that it is not at all clear that 
an error reply to the ITR (the normal target of ETR map responses), 
could do anything with such a message.  For a map request to get to an 
ETR which is not authoritative would imply something went wrong in the 
ALT.  Such things do happen.

Yours,
Joel

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> lisp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lisp
>

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:02:53 -0500

>>>>> "Noel" == Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> writes:

    Noel> So, what happens if/when a Map-Request packets arrives at an
    Noel> ETR which is not authoritative for the request EID? I looked
    Noel> at the spec, but I don't think how to handle this is
    Noel> described? (Although perhaps I was just too hasty?)

You could send a negative map reply with one of the more useless act
codes, although I agree that  is not specified.

If your ETR happens to be a map resolver, the map request arriving
there is indistinguishable from a map resolver request and will thus
be proxied.