Subject: [lisp] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01.txt

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:26:51 -0500

FYI. Comments would be welcomed. I expect this to go to WGLC (in 6man) soon.

Marshall

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working
Group of the IETF.

       Title           : UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
       Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                         P.F. Chimento
       Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01.txt
       Pages           : 12
       Date            : 2011-10-31

  This document provides an update of RFC 2460[RFC2460] in order to
  improve the performance of IPv6 in an increasingly important use
  case, the use of tunneling to carry new transport protocols.  The
  performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the IPv6 UDP checksum
  requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where header information
  is protected on the &quot;inner&quot; packet being carried.  This relaxation
  removes the overhead associated with the computation of UDP checksums
  on tunneled IPv6 packets and thereby improves the efficiency of the
  traversal of firewalls and other network middleware by such new
  protocols.  We describe how the IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be
  relaxed in the situation where the encapsulated packet itself
  contains a checksum, the limitations and risks of this approach, and
  provides restrictions on the use of this relaxation to mitigate these
  risks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------