Subject: [lisp] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis-32: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 09:27:36 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis-32: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-rfc6830bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Given that this document is an update to an existing RFC and has already been
through one IESG ballot, I have not read the entirety of this draft in detail.

A couple of minor comments:

8.  Using Virtualization and Segmentation with LISP

   For example, an 802.1Q VLAN tag or VPN identifier could be used as a
   24-bit Instance ID.  See [I-D.ietf-lisp-vpn] for LISP VPN use-case
   details.

Standard 802.1Q VLAN identifiers are only 12 bits (unless an I-SID is being
used), so possibly you might want to slightly elaborate here.  E.g. do you
potentially mean a pair of 802.1Q VLAN tags?

17.  Network Management Considerations

   Considerations for network management tools exist so the LISP
   protocol suite can be operationally managed.  These mechanisms can be
   found in [RFC7052] and [RFC6835].

Given that SNMP is on its way out, having an informative reference to the
work-in-progress LISP YANG model may be helpful here.

Regards,
Rob