Subject: RE: [Mobike] issue 6: scope of SA changes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:43:17 +0200

Jari Arkko writes:
> 
> 1. Would it be useful to treat different flows or applications
>     in a different manner with regards to their multihoming
>     behaviour? For instance, keep one flow always in GPRS
>     but allow another flow to use LAN where available.
> 
>     Yes, mandatory [ ]
>     Yes, optional  [X]
>     No             [ ]

> 2. Would you like to provide this functionality through
> 
>     Separate IPsec SAs and their independent addresses   [ ]
>     Separate IKE SAs and their independent addresses     [X]

Separate IKE SAs are IMHO the simplest way to go, 
considering that 

- I think that real-world MOBIKE deployments will not use this 
  kind of functionality anyway, or at least it will be extremely 
  rare in the near future. 

- In many of those rare cases where different treatment is needed, 
  it can be handled adequately by creating several IKE SAs.

- This simplifies the protocol somewhat (e.g., no need to treat 
  those addresses differently for RR purposes).

- If the remaining cases (where the ability to have only a single 
  IKE SA would provide substantial user-visible benefits) become
  more important e.g. five years from now, we can do something
  about them then.
  
Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 23:07:44 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   
=> I exactly believe the opposite. IMHO this is because you think
about mobility and I think about multi-homing and SCTP...

=> following this argument we can close the MOBIKE WG (:-).

=> I don't understand (in fact I understand but only by refering
to mobility needs :-).

=> multi-homing is already 5 year late, please don't add 5 other
years just because the problem doesn't interest you.

Regards

[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike