Subject: [MSEC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-tesla-spec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:14:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TESLA: Multicast Source Authentication Transform 
                          Specification
	Author(s)	: R. Canetti, A. Perrig, B. Whillock
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msec-tesla-spec-00.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2002-10-30
	
Data authentication is an important component for many applications,
for example audio and video Internet broadcasts, or data distribution
by satellite. This document specifies TESLA, a secure source authen¡
tication mechanism for multicast or broadcast data streams. The com¡
panion draft draft-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt [1] introduces and
describes TESLA in detail, this document specifies the format of the
TESLA authentication field as it is used within the MESP header [2].
The main deterrents so far for a data authentication mechanism for
multicast were seemingly conflicting requirements: tolerance to
packet loss, low per-packet overhead, low computation overhead, scal¡
ability, no per-receiver state at the sender. The problem is particu¡
larly hard in settings with high packet loss rates and where lost
packets are not retransmitted, and where the receiver wants to
authenticate each packet it receives.
TESLA provides multicast source authentication of individual data
packets, regardless of the packet loss rate. In addition, TESLA
features low overhead for both sender and receiver, and does not
require per-receiver state at the sender. TESLA is secure as long as
the sender and receiver are loosely time synchronized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-spec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msec-tesla-spec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-spec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.