Subject: [MSEC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-mikey-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:07:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: MIKEY: Multimedia Internet KEYing
	Author(s)	: J. Arkko et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msec-mikey-06.txt
	Pages		: 53
	Date		: 2003-2-6
	
Security protocols for real-time multimedia applications have started
to appear. This has brought forward the need for a key management
solution to support these protocols. Such a solution has to be
suitable to be used in the context of conversational multimedia in a
heterogeneous environment.
This document describes a key management scheme that can be used for
real-time applications (both for peer-to-peer communication and group
communication), and shows how it may work together with protocols
such as SIP and RTSP. In particular, its use to support the Secure
Real-time Transport Protocol, [SRTP], is described in detail.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-mikey-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msec-mikey-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-mikey-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Steffen Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:53:08 +0100

Hi,

by reading the MIKEY draft I noticed that from my point of view 
there is still a problem with the length encoding of the 
payload.

In section 6.2.the key data transport payload is described. 
Here encrypted data may be transported with a maximum length of 
2^16 bytes. The encrypted data itself is described in section 
6.13 as key data sub payload. Here it is possible to include a 
key and salt data. Both may have a maximum length of 2^16 each. 

Considering this means, that someone who uses all avaialable 
space is not able to encode the correct length information 
(2^17) in the length field of the encrypted data container.

I don't think that somebody will use 2^16 byte for key and salt 
data in the next weeks, but this may be a potential problem if 
somebody really does.

A solution would be to shorten the maximum length in the key 
data sub payload.

Or did I misinterpreted the sections?

Steffen

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec