Subject: [MSEC] What is the relation between IKE and MIKEY?

From: "Deuk-Whee Kwak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:56:11 +0900

Hi
What is the relation between IKE and MIKEY?
As far as I understand, IKE is mainly used for network-level peer-to-peer key exchange protocol, and MIKEY is mainly used for application-level multicast key exchange protocol. 
Then, is it impossible to use IKE for application-level multicast key exchange protocol?
Thanks

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: "Deuk-Whee Kwak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:39:54 +0900

Thank you for your kind answer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:msec-admin@securemulticast.
org]On Behalf Of Fredrik Lindholm (EAB)
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 5:14 PM
To: 'Deuk-Whee Kwak'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MSEC] What is the relation between IKE and MIKEY?

> As far as I understand, IKE is mainly used for network-level 
> peer-to-peer key exchange protocol, and MIKEY is mainly used 
> for application-level multicast key exchange protocol. 

MIKEY was designed to be a "low latency" group key distribution 
protocol that could work in e.g., small size interactive groups. 
This put completely different requirements on MIKEY compared 
to IKE (e.g., the one round-trip requirement, the group key 
distribution functionality requirement etc). 

> multicast key exchange protocol?

Correct (there exist no functionality in IKE to distribute a group key
for a multicast groups). 

I think it would have some advantages If it is possible to chanage or extend IKE at minor level for group key management protocol
Is that possible
If possible, Will it be a big job?

thank you.

---

From: "Fredrik Lindholm (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:53:43 +0100

Hi,

<snip>
> I think it would have some advantages If it is possible to 
> chanage or extend IKE at minor level for group key management protocol
> Is that possible

As Lakshminath pointed out, you have two other group key 
distribution protocols in the msec wg, GSAKMP and GDOI. 

I think that GDOI (Group Domain of Interpretation) is more or 
less what you are asking for, i.e., a modification/extension of 
ISAKMP/IKE to support group key distribution. 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-gdoi-07.txt

Cheers,
Fredrik