Subject: [MSEC] MSEC v01 arch, comments on section 2

From: George Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:17:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I finally got around to reviewing the v01 MSEC architecture document now in last call. I had several
comments. This e-mail is the first of several that will follow...

As a general comment, I'd first like to say that this version is much
improved over its predessor. It is more of a tutorial nature than
requirements or architecture doc, as it has a dearth of "MUST" and
"SHOULD".  Is that the intent? If so, perhaps the intro should say so...

Somewhere in the architecture document, perhaps in section 2, I would expect
see a statement about MSEC architectural assumptions with respect to the following
Internet properties/peer subsystems:

  1 - For data traffic multicast, what error recovery procedure(s) are
required to detect and avoid network congestion? acks/nacks? what about
Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)?

  2 - how to assure the security of the IGMP, MLD, and the multicast
routing protocol(s) like PIM?

  3 - Should/do the group key management protocols assume an underlying
reliable transport service?

  4 - while this may be implied, you should indicate this architecture is
independent of IP-v4 or IP-v6 and that the secure multicast protocols MUST
operate with both.

  5 - how does the secure multicast architecture interact with NAT? is it
required to work across multiple NAT boundaries? (e.g. does group AH
break?)

  6 - does the architecture assume a single common PKI that spans all
members of the group or shared secrets (which does not scale)?

  7 - does the architecture have a particular profile on X.509
certificates that would assure interoperability (witness the discussions
on IPSEC list wrt/ IKEv2 ID payloads and certs, wouldn't we like to avoid
that swamp?)

  8 - what happens when the secure multicast architecture traverses an
IPSEC gateway? It seems that implicitly you are defining transport mode
multicast data security associations?  or could they be in tunnel mode? if
the latter, then mention that and how it works.

br,
	George

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec