Subject: [MSEC] Summary and notes from MSEC WG meeting at IETF-57 Vienna

From: Thomas Hardjono <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:12:33 -0400

Folks,

Here are some notes/summary from the MSEC WG meeting last night in Vienna.

Please review/comment/correct.

cheers,

thomas
------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

MSEC WG Meeting Summary & Notes, IETF57 Vienna
----------------------------------------------

The MSEC WG met on Monday night (14 July 2003), with presentations and 
updates on the current drafts. Presentations were given on GSAKMP, MIKEY, 
FMKE, DHHMAC and the GKM Architecture draft.

The Re-Charter and New Milestones have been approved by the ADs, but the 
Re-Charter must be further approved by the IESG.

(1) GSAKMP:
-----------

- The GSAKMP protocol will now be aimed at Standards Track (with the 
GSAKM_-Light draft being deprecated).

- Although there is a close relationship between the Policy Token and 
GSAKMP, the Token should be usable with other group-key management 
protocols and in various areas of application.  A possible way forward 
would be to define a "base-profile" for the token containing fields common 
to the various key management protocols. Area-specific needs would then be 
satisfied by adding additional fields ("extensions") to the Token.

- The Policy Token cannot, therefore, be Informational (ie. it must be 
aimed at Experimental, at least).

(2) MIKEY and DHHMAC:
---------------------
- Most (if not all) issues with regards to MIKEY have been resolved.  The 
DH Mode is now optional, while additional text have been added regarding 
defining new DH groups and regarding AES Key Wrap (suggestion from AD).

- Since MIKEY has been in WG Last Call status since the last IETF-56, its 
Last Call must be ended at a given date (decided to be 1 August 2003).

- The WG last call for the DHHMAC draft will follow soon after MIKEY's 
closing last call. For DHHMAC, this is tentatively 1 September 2003.

(3) GKM-Architecture:
---------------------
- Extensive discussion on this draft, particularly on whether or not it 
should contain feature-comparisons of the key management protocols.

- One suggestion was to limit the contents of this document to 
architecture-level descriptions and the explanation of Group Security 
Associations (GSA).

- Since it was agreed that some guidance document was needed for 
implementers, the text (in the GKM-Arch draft) describing 
feature-comparisons will be split-off into a new draft (tentatively titled 
"Guidance to choosing MSEC Key Management Protocols" or similar). 
Lakshminath, Hugh and Thomas will be initial contributors to this 
draft.  Other authors sought.

(4) Action Items:
-----------------

(a) Last Call closing date for MIKEY draft Friday 1 August 2003.

(b) Last Call closing date for MSEC Architecture draft Friday 8 August 2003.

(c) Last Call announcement for GKM Architecture draft, will be sent out 
Friday 1 August 2003 (closing date of 1 September 2003).

(d) Last Call announcement for DHHMAC draft, will be sent out Friday 1 
August 2003 (closing date of 1 September 2003).

(5) Others:
-----------
- A separate LKH-Algorithm draft is needed in order to help in 
implementations. Lakshminath will continue this effort (ps. other authors 
sought after).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec