Subject: [MSEC] GSAKMP issue 09: Rekey "Sequence ID" rollover semantics

From: George Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:32:31 -0400 (EDT)

GSAKMP issue 09

Section and relevant text passage:

6.1 GSAKMP Header, Sequence ID text:

 "GCKS/SGCKS MUST also garantee that this value does not
    suffer from rollover problems..."

Comment/issue description:

s/garantee/guarantee/

Granted, this is a corner case, but the text does seem vague here.  If the GCKS had
the misfortune to generate an initial random Sequence ID that was close to 2^32
AND then the group was long-lived AND it had lots of rekey events, then one
might have to deal with this. So what do you do?

Suggested issue resolution:

The text should specify that rollover is allowed, and indicate an algorithm
in an appendix that would gracefully accept wrap around.

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec