Subject: [MSEC] GSAKMP issue 06: GTEK synchronizaton upon new member arrival

From: George Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:28:53 -0400 (EDT)

GSAKMP issue 06

Section and relevant text passage:

section 4.2.2 figure 2 GSAKMP ladder diagram

Comment/issue description:

It is not clear from this diagram or the text how the new GM synchronizes
with the new GTEK key when group policy requires backward secrecy. One
interpretation is that the GCKS rekeys the group with a new key before it
sends the "Key Download" to the new GM. But this is not shown in the ladder
diagram. If the GCKS waits until it receives the GM Notify ACK, then it is
possible in the race condition for the new GM to speak packets to the group
that the group can not understand yet.

Suggested issue resolution:

The figure 2 ladder diagram should show when the GCKS rekeys the group relative to
the new member's arrival. The text should discuss how to avoid/minimize the
GTEK key synchronization problem.

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec