Subject: [MSEC] MESP question

From: Hidetoshi Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:14:39 +0900

Hi all,

Let me ask a quick question regarding MESP.

Is it possible to use MESP over UDP/IP?
or
Is it only possible to use MESP for IP layer?

Although the SMuG data transform draft (draft-data-transforms.txt) stats that the protocol can be used for network layer transform as well as application layer transform, the MESP draft (draft-ietf-msec-mesp-01.txt) doesn't state that. 

I would appriciate your any help.

Thank you.
Hidetoshi Ueno
NTT DoCoMo, Inc.

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:52:15 -0700

Hello,

>Is it only possible to use MESP for IP layer?

We no longer recommend using MESP but instead recommend the current working 
draft of IPsec ESP since the new IPsec ESP draft incorporates the needed 
functionality from MESP.  This is the result of work that msec had done 
with ipsec and the security ADs last Spring.

>Although the SMuG data transform draft (draft-data-transforms.txt) stats 
>that the protocol can be used for network layer transform as well as 
>application layer transform, the MESP draft (draft-ietf-msec-mesp-01.txt) 
>doesn't state that.

The SMuG draft is no longer relevant.  I am sorry for the confusion and 
hopefully we will clean up these drafts shortly after the next IETF meeting.

>I would appriciate your any help.

I hope this helps.  It is good news because we can use one protocol, IPsec 
ESP, instead of having two.  But you need to refer to the current working 
draft of IPsec ESP (not the RFC) from the IPsec Working Group directory.

Best Regards, Mark